Pack of 5 160NC for £6.50 - fresh stock

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Matt5791, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In case anyone is interested I went into Calumet in Birmingham last week to buy some colour negative film for a wedding on Saturday.

I asked to confirm the prices on the Fuji 160S and then, out of interest, I asked the price of the Portra 160NC (normally this is about £5 more per pack of 5 35mm)

The price: £6.50, including VAT!!! I asked them to just confirm it, which he did and said that it was on offer until the end of July - then I went to the fridge and picked up, well, and awful lot of it.

Is it just me or is this such a silly cheap price that they may have made a mistake?

I told them in the lab I use and they could not believe it either.

The 120 seemed cheaper too than normal, but not as cheap as the 135.

It was brand new stock - and I have re-checked the invoice - it was £6.50 per pack of 5 35mm rolls.

Anyone else confirm this?

Matt

2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    £5.43 on the Calumet website!

3. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  4. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have a look at the sale section on their site - they have some amazing deals on there.
    I just wish it was a different time of the month... I'm rather short on the old cash at the moment, and I don't want to set fire to my credit card:rolleyes:

5. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think you're missing the "why". Kodak recently reformulated Portra to scan better and have finer grain. What you're getting is the last of the "old" Portra. Not that it's a bad deal or film, just that it won't have the little red blurb touting "improved scanning results", essentially.

6. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dont know about the website - what I got from the store was the brand new formulation.........

Still, even for the old, an extraordinary deal.

Matt

7. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds as if Kodak-UK is doing a promo for the new Portas? Similar to the "giveaway" Kodak did here in the US last autumn.

8. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes - normally Kodak is substantially more expensive than Fuji in the UK - like the difference last year was, now I think about it, up to £7 difference on this particular pack - for the weddings I just could not justify Kodak.

....but now

I hope they keep it up because I think they are incredible films, particularly for weddings where skin tones are paramount. Not saying Fuji is no good for skin - it's a fine line - I just prefer the muted colour pallet and perfect skin tones.

Matt

9. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll post which version comes from the website when I receive mine.
    I would assume it's the same as the store bought version though.

10. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW - if it is the "new" Porta you're getting a great deal. Current B&H price for Porta 160NC is about $28 per five pack. Figuring at $2 per GBP you're paying only $13! Less than half the current US street price.

Too bad my wife isn't scheduled to go back to London on biz before month's end! :sad:

11. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definitely the "New" portra - 160NC-2 on the negs - and the new Kodak logo and marketing blurb on the packet saying revised and better scanning, or something.

12. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, the stuff they're selling online seems to be the old version.
    I've not souped a roll yet, so I can't relay the edge markings, but I can't see any hype on the box about scanability etc.

Meh - It's good film that should have set me back about £20 a pack, and I got it for a quarter of that. I'm happy :smile:

13. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would, but for two things;
    a) I ordered 5 boxes of the stuff :smile:
    b) My credit card wouldn't stand the temptation of other stuff there. (I personally can stand any amount of temptation, but my credit card is NOT to be trusted around photographic gear :D :D)

15. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I souped the stuff last night, and it is the old version (marked ##KODAK 160NC##)
    I like the results from it though. I've put an image shot on it up in the gallery.

16. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    For those in America, I just bought a Pro 5-Pack of the new 160NC in 120 size, from Adorama, for about $20. The packages all say "NEW" on them but no box - does anyone shoot 120 and can verify the marking for the new emulsion? I hate this practice of Adorama of breaking open these boxes. Supposed to be sold intact, in a box, not as 5 randomly-put together rolls which might not even be the same vintage.

17. Charlie-J

Charlie-J Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Matt

Thanks for posting I got some packs of 160NC just the job for the fringe festival, and I also got 300ft of Delta 100 for £16 a roll. I hear the delta is long dated to.

Charlie