Painters Tape and Nighttime Exposure.

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Mike Kennedy, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I enjoy going out late at night or very early in the morning with my camera. I usually shoot with Tri-X or Neopan pushed to 800 or 1600 depending on the lighting conditions. No flash.
    My kit bag is an old , nondescript WWII medics shoulder bag with 1 body , 1 lens and 2 or 3 rolls of film. Don't like to draw attention.
    I found this handy exposure chart while surfing one night. (Goggle "Pictures by Existing Light" ). I Use painters tape because it doesn't leave a residue and can be written on with a Sharpie pen and jot down the various shutter speed / f-stop combinations I might run into. Then I affix the tape to my camera back or case.

Just a handy tip,

Mike

2. Clueless

Clueless Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tape be damned !

Sounds like highly suspicious behavior that should be investigated as a terrorist's disguise for destroying lamp posts in the wee hours. What's a drunk to lean on, or a dog to p_ _ on?

3. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With regard to painter's tape, I've found (the hard way) that there are various levels of adhesion, and thus gunk, in the various tapes sold as painter's tape. I've had bad luck with the blue tape, but much better with the more white tape that is marked low adhesion.
    juan

4. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like the green tape.

5. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with Marko. I also use green.

JMK