pancuronium bromide In photographic Applications

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Stephen Frizza, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Can anyone suggest a legitimate use for Pancuronium Bromide in a photographic process?

2. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't decide whether this has enormous comic potential or is simply in extremely bad taste ...

3. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Chemical formula: C35H60N2O4

Very doubtful it would have any legitimate purposes outside a hospital.

4. mrred

mrred Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why would you want to? The side effects listed here would be far too severe for casual darkroom use.

5. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why ? Do you want to do a series about the death penalty and associated drugs? I think it's interesting that the stuff is banned for Vet use as it might hide pain (associated with suffocation etc...) but it's okay to use it for the death penalty. Humanity or more precisely the lack thereof always amazes me.

I doubt that it has any photographic use maybe as a substitute for other bromides but I don't know anything about pancuronium and its effect on photographic emulsions. You could try to make a small batch of emulsion and substitute the potassium bromide with pancuronium bromide. Or alternatively mix a film/paper developer and use pancuronium bromide instead of other bromides.
    If you do death penalty stuff the final chemical that is being administered is often used in photography potassium chloride.

6. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The medical use of pancuronium bromide is as a muscle relaxant which permits a lighter degree of anesthesia and hence less risk during surgery. Without it more anesthetic would be needed to produce the required degree of relaxation. Particularly used in abdominal and thoracic surgeries.

7. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gerald you are right but it is better known for its "non medical" use