Panicing over Rome

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by RattyMouse, Jun 19, 2014.

1. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As some might know here, I'm off to a trip to Rome in a short while. A trip specifically to hike around the city and take pictures at will. I am absolutely frozen about what gear to take. In a perfect world, my GF670 and GF670W cameras make the trip. But that's a $4000 camera bag then and I'm worried about theft. Then, my maximum aperture is f/3.5 or f/4.5 and I'm worried about photography in lower light areas. I will not bring a tripod for this trip. Inside churches will be very hard to photograph. I want some nice color shots of all this as well, which makes Delta 3200 as a less than perfect solution.

As much as I detest the idea, my Fuji X100 makes this trip so much simpler. I have tried to settle on what gear to bring now for over 8 days and am still totally undecided. This has never happened before and the feeling is making me feel ill.

Too much stress for what should be a relaxing time.

I also have a Nikon FM2 and 3 lenses. That's tempting too but I am not sure that is the best way forward either. Inside those churches can be very dark. I shot Paris last year with my X100 and routinely used ISO3200 and 6400 settings and that was with an f/2 lens!

Should I just park my film gear and resume using that for more casual times here in Shanghai?

Thanks for your perspective!

2. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There's no shame nor harm in using a digital camera. The Fuji makes nice images. If you want images and travelling light, take the Fuji. If you want images to print in your darkroom, and still travel relatively light, go with the Nikon. Otherwise, take your expensive gear. Just make sure it's insured.

3. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's just it. None of my gear is insured. My US carrier won't insure my stuff while I live in China and I dont trust any Chinese insurance company. Not helpful I know.

Will the Nikon work for me inside the churches of Rome? I'm thinking that ISO400 film won't cut it. I have a 24mm f/2 lens so it's reasonably fast.

4. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I was in Rome and in Paris 50mm summicron with iso 400 film was enough for all except inside of churches. Take FM2 and some small tripod (one of those 5$ cheap small ones - and you put in on a bench or chair in churches).
    With iso 400 and f2 inside of churches I was getting around 1/2 sec reading, if I remember correctly.
    About digital: in life always there is an easy way and a proper way.

5. mauro35

mauro35 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I honestly would be very worried as well in Rome, concerning theft. I suggest maximum alert especially at train stations. If I were you I would bring only cheap gear, for peace of mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
  6. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you. I'm now inclined to bring my Nikon over the Fujifilm medium format rangefinders. Better safe than sorry in Rome.

Question: Would an 85mm f/2 lens be useful in Rome? I find it useful in Asia but would like to hear from others who might have shot in Rome. I have a 24mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.2 lens for the Nikon which are going to come along, but am not sure whether or not to bring the 85.

One last question: Will film get scanned by X rays entering any buildings? My film will be scanned 3 times in airports and I'd rather it not see any more scans if at all possible.

Thanks!!

7. Nuff

Nuff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just take GF670 and FM2 and one lens.

I normally take bunch of gear but it always stays in hotel room. In the end I always end up with Hasselblad + 80mm lens + 3 backs (I usually only end up using 2 of them) and Pentax MX and 43mm lens (or 50mm).

8. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you will take photos of people on the street - then yes. For building - not so much. I had my 105/2.5 with me on nikon, but I used 50mm most of the time, and 105 sometimes for people on the streets and squares.
    As I don't like to change lenses - I bring always 2 cameras with 50mm and 105mm (or 90mm). In that way I don't change the lenses, and have 2 cameras in case one fails.

9. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two years ago I took two OM-1n with 28mm f/3.5 and 35mm f/2.8 zuikos, but never used the 35mm and left the one OM-1n and 35mm in hotel room.

Together I had 20 rolls of APX 100 and I never shoot anything in low light. So I may recommend some faster films, slower films and backup gear with a lens.

Rome is a beautiful city and you may find an opportunity to take photos on every corner.

10. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, don't park the film gear.

As an analogy it sounds to me like you are just having a tough time deciding on which "girlfriend" to take. :whistling:

If it were me I'd take the FM2 unless I felt I just had to have medium format film.

11. F4user

F4user Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wish I have Nikkor 18/2.8 and 135/2.8

I will go for 35 mm.
    You need to enjoy the journey and do not carry weight and worry about it.

For my next holiday i will take with me in the bag 18-35 ; 28-300 and
    on the camera 24-85 for weight saving on my FullFrame d****al.

12. skysh4rk

skysh4rk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What is the point of buying cameras that take really nice photographs if you're going to leave them at home while you're on holiday? Cameras are meant to be used, not cherished.

The GF670 probably covers 80% of what you would need easily, so I'd just take that with some 400 ISO film and stop 'panicing' [sic].

No, the GF670 will not cover every possible shooting scenario, but you're on vacation; you aren't meant to get every single picture from every possible angle in every kind of light. Just focus on what you can do with what you take and enjoy it; you won't be punished for 'missing' a shot.

I sometimes travel with only my Bronica SQ-A and 105mm f/3.5 lens and I have a perfectly good time. If you find yourself in low light, you can find ways to get shots in low light using books, benches, napkins, etc., if you're resourceful. The GF670 is leaf shutter as well, so you'll be able to hand hold to slower speeds with good technique than my SQ-A, which makes up for the f/3.5 aperture, which really isn't even that slow in the grand scheme of things.

On a note related to churches, I can't remember the situation in Rome, but a lot of churches in Europe don't even permit photography.

13. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    nikon

I'd take the Nikon.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I bought swatch watch , model was Rome , I can send the package to you , because watch is beatiful.

Sent with extreme low frequency signals from northwestern russia. :smile:

16. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is my view. "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.." and all that.

17. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not on vacation per se, rather it's a business trip to London with a side trip over to Rome for pleasure. I would bring my medium format gear if I had my family with me. Going solo I don't feel as comfortable.

18. spatz

spatz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I took this shot in the cathedral in Koln in Germany with an FM2 and a 50mm f1.4 (probably at f1.4) on Velvia 50 handheld. Its certainly doable. Grab film and a camera that you like and let them guide your photos rather than fret what you 'couldve' gotten with a different camera. Have fun!
    uploadfromtaptalk1403182255693.jpg

Sent from my LG-P710 using Tapatalk

19. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I travelled to Italy (including Rome) all by my lonesome for 2 weeks and never had a worry about theft (that's true of the 30 countries I've travelled to by myself). I think theft is less likely since you tend to be more aware of yourself and your belongings when you are alone rather than when you are with other people. For that trip I brought a 28mm, 50mm, and 105mm for my Nikon FE and used the first two the most often, although the 105mm came in handy on occasion. I'm hoping to go back in the next year or two so I can photograph it properly in MF. Why not bring the Fuji X100 for low-light stuff, and the GF670 for everything else?

That being said, I'm sure you'll get many different answers, in the end, it all depends on what you feel you need for this trip, and what is most comfortable for you to take.

20. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    While on a vacation trip to Italy two years ago we spent four days in Rome. While in Rome I used only public transportation and carried two Hasselblads one with a 50mm lens and one with a 150. In town I used a nondescript backpack large enough for the two and never had a problem. I remained alert to my surroundings and held the pack in front of me when on the very crowded metros. I photographed whatever I wanted and checked the pack at museums when required. When checked I closed the two zippers with a lock. My other gear was left in the hotel as were the two cameras and lenses when we were out and no photography was planned. Last year I did the same in Barcelona and have done the same as well in the US, Canada, New Zealand and a number of European cities. I use a Tamrac photographic backpack which fits in the overhead compartments to hold everything and take the empty day pack to use when needed. I take a small but very sturdy carbon-fiber tripod that I have used in many cities as well.

Fortunately in all my years of travel no one has bothered me when photographing. At least so far.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

21. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Most of the churches in Rome have signs up stating "no photography". A few will allow it, but do not permit tripods.

One of the interesting places worth a visit should be Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini - More specifically, the Crypt located via a small side door. Note: Photography not permitted, and you will get shouted at if attempted.

22. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1000 for this! I'd probably take the Nikon kit on this trip, unless I had a special reason to shoot medium format.

Here come the personal anecdotes...

Ages ago, when I worked at a camera store, I had a customer with plenty of money to spend. He had a Nikon F4 (at the time, the top-of-the-line Nikon) and lots of nice lenses. He came into the store one day, asking what cheap Nikon kit he should buy for his month-long trip to Alaska. My advice to him was, "Take the F4 and your good lenses! It's a once-in-a-lifetime trip, take the best camera you've got." He left the store that day without a new camera but with lots of film.

During my travels, I've often gotten naysayer "advice" like "Don't take your camera to the Mission District (in San Francisco), it'll get stolen." I took my camera to the Mission District, made lots of street photos, and found the people very friendly. Of course, I was alert and cautious, as always, but it was fine.

23. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I was in Kutna Hora - in church with similar bizarre decoration ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutná_Hora ) - photography was allowed - there was a professional photo shotting with tripod, flash - vampire costume ... nobody was upset. But they are Czech - very cool people :smile:.

24. I second that. I shoot film primarily in relaxed situations that are close to home or in places where I've already been. Juggling rolls of film, worrying about exposure to x-rays and everything else doesn't make for enjoyable shooting. Earlier this year I made my first visit to California. While I did bring a couple small film cameras (and a quantity of film I got hand-checked as carry-on), I didn't end up shooting a single roll of film on the trip. Instead, I shot everything on my Fujifilm X-E2. I don't regret doing so, and I am happy with many of the photos I made.

Conversely, I'll soon be heading back home to New Hampshire/ Vermont for vacation. As I'll be in my old stomping grounds, and have already photographed all the obvious stuff over the years, I'm planning to shoot all or mostly film on this trip. I plan to take fewer more meaningful photographs on the trip and film is perfect for a relaxed pace.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
  25. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got plenty of digital gear. I let my wife have it. I would never be without B&W film and miss the chance to make my own darkroom prints of an important life event. But that's just me. I'm going to Hawaii in a month and have been hemming and hawing for months about what actually to bring. Not bringing a film camera is not one of the options.

26. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once I was in Venice and I wanted to take color photo to show it later to my wife (I use only B&W film) - building was red and strong with color. I put my Leica away, took my phone with 2 hands, composing ... and in that second one little girl was running in frame, one couple stopped and kissed between 2 round windows ... perfect. While I got my Leica back in my hands - too late. So lesson: no-no digi snapshots, always film, and camera always ready.