Paper and chemistry together in fridge?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by naaldvoerder, Jul 17, 2005.

1. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm thinking of buying a fridge for my darkroom. My question is wether it's safe to store chemicals and paper in the same fridge or do i need to buy two fridges?

Thanks Jaap Jan

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why would you want to keep chemicals in the fridge?

3. baronfoxx

baronfoxx Member

some chemical manufacturers reccomend keeping chemicals in a frig
    two examples, dixactol and prescysol.

I keep chemicals and paper together with no problems

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 30+ years of photography and running a laboratory the only chemical I've used that needed refrigeration was Lanthium Nitrate which is not used in photography.

As Photographers the only thing (along with film & paper) that would need refrigeration is silver gelatin based (liquid) emulsion.

Ian

5. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do not expect there to be a problem storing these together. I would expect my biggest concern, even with a separate refrigerator would be someone...a child.. trying to take a chemical internally. I believe that freezing is even better than refrigerating. I would expect that freezing could greatly lengthen the life of a color developer although there may be problems getting everything back into solution once again after thawing. I believe the main reason for making a larger batch of chemistry is that most of the over the counter goods show a goodly sized cost reduction as the volume increases.

For most black and white developers keeping the ingredients in stock solutions so that the alkalai is seperate from the developing agent will be very helpful whether refrigerated or not.

6. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you've probably deduced by now, there is no real good reason to refrigerate most common darkroom chemistry. Film and paper age more slowly when kept cool, so refrigerating that stuff is a wise move. The real enemy of darkroom chemistry, developers in particular, is oxygen. You'll do more good by keeping your mixed up developers in completely full bottles bottles than you will by refrigerating them.

7. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There are some developing agents which seem to deteriorate regardless of storage conditions - among them is Glycin. It might help to refrigerate dry Glycin if it is to be stored for a long time.

8. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :surprised: What!? What about the beer/wine/vodka used to help you through the printing session? ALWAYS leave space for those... Film is cheap, but Stoli Crystal sure ain't! :D

9. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the advice, just one fridge with a beercompartment....

Jaap Jan

10. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Jan,

So far, I have only found it advantageous to store RA-4 chemicals in the fridge. I should print more to eliminate that situation.<g>

Neal Wydra

11. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not a good idea to store photo solutions in the fridge *unless* the manufacturer says that you can. The only product I know of that recommends doing this is Ethol T.E.C. The problem is that various components can crystallize out of solution and be very difficult to redissolve.