Paper database for alt. processes ?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Falkenberg, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Falkenberg

Falkenberg Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I was wondering if there is a comparison database somewhere on the internet, where all kinds of papers have been tested with all kinds of alt. processes.

Denmark is a small market and it can be hard to find good paper and it is even harder to guess if it will work with the alt. process in mind.

2. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    alternativephotography.com did a big paper survey but papers come and go and some change without warning. I used to like Fabriano Watercolor Studio paper but then I bought the next pack and it no longer worked with cyanotype like the old stuff did.

3. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. Dana Sullivan

Dana Sullivan Advertiser Advertiser

Buxton is a great paper, no doubt, but a lot of people cringe at $10-14 a sheet. I have a preliminary guide up on our website right now, which has a nice picture showing the difference in color/hue of each paper I carry. I plan on adding more detailed images of each paper soon, but the current guide should be of some help.

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/images/paper_guide.pdf

5. dwross

dwross Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To the great list on AltPhoto and the list that B&S in starting, I'd like to chime in with my support of Rives Lightweight. It takes a coating of homemade baryta beautifully - very nice effect.

Dana, I love your description of Heavy Kozo. I can hardly wait to try it out. And, nice visuals on the papers. Good work.
    d

6. Falkenberg

Falkenberg Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I like the paperinfo from Bostick-Sullivan. But the info from alternativephotography seems more complete. This made me wonder if someone like Bostick-Sullivan could be interested in hosting a database where users could contribute pictures and information about whatever papers are out there and what they can be used for. Since paper awailability seems to so varied from country to country, maybe it could include links to where they are awailable.

And the info on each paper should be standardized, in the terms used to describe them.

7. Dana Sullivan

Dana Sullivan Advertiser Advertiser

Just to clarify, I only include the papers that I sell in my paper guide. There are obviously many more suitable papers out there, and I'm always looking to add new ones to my catalog.

As it's been mentioned before, papers are not a static, unchanging product. They can become unusable due to manufacturing variations, and papers that were once a poor choice can suddenly print beautifully!