Paper Developer Question for Kentmere Users

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Uncle Bill, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my quest to find the right fibre paper for me, I have been doing "taste tests" off and on.

I picked up a packet of Kentmere Fineprint VC FB Glossy paper last night, when I got home I did a quick look up with the British and American sites and found there was a difference of opinion on paper developers. I use Dektol at 1:2 I found that the British site was lukewarm on this particular chemical (recommending other developers including one I stopped using) and the American site says, yes it's ok.

Of course on another part of the Kentmere USA site under their new chemicals section and they make a Dektol clone which I assue they would like to sell you when you buy Kentmere paper.

Am I cool with Dektol with Kentmere Fineprint VC FB?

2. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've also been using a two developer method: Selectol-Soft 1:1 (30-60secs) Dektol 1:2 (remainder of time to 2min) with Kentmere paper. I have been happy with the results.

3. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dektol has been OK for every paper I've ever tried. It may not be the best, but it's always produced images I'm not ashamed of. If you have it, use it. After using it for awhile, you may decide you would like a quality that some other developer would give.
    juan

4. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used PQ Universal a lot which is great with just about everything (also Beers and amidol for FB-Kentona is dynamite with amidol).

5. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dektol should be fine. It's worked fine with every other paper I've tried it with.
    I use Ansco 130 glycin developer with both the variable contrast papers and the graded Kentona and Bromide. Very good combination.
    You may have to tweak your printing significantly to get a print that resembles any other VC paper with the Fineprint. Blacks are highly intense (beautiful) and the whites are crisp as crisp will get. It's great paper, but different.
    - Thomas

6. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Ansco 130 (from PF) on my Kentmere Bromide, and have no complaints.

I did my tests once between Dektol, PolymaxT, and Ansco 130, and that's the order in which they are increasingly better. Dektol works, but I could extract a little bit more tone separation with the other two, and Ansco 130 wins hands down. It's as if I discovered grey tones I hadn't seen before!

PolymaxT is a good compromise. It's easy to find, easy to mix (liquid) and gives better tone separation than Dektol. Plus, you have a dead neutral tone, so if you don't use selenium, you'll have as little as possible of green cast.

7. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes.

But if you want to get HOT try Ansco 130. Either the 'store bought' or the enhanced Clarke variant for home brew.

I've found the Ansco 130 variant brings a little more seperation within the rich shadow detail.

The paper is wonderful in anything. I hope ILFORD/Harman won't screw it up.

8. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bruce, where can I find the frormula for the Clarke variant? TIA:smile:

9. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ansco 130 - Evan Clarke

To make 2 Liter stock

Distilled water 52-c --- 1,400 mL
    Metol - 4.4 g
    Sodium Sulfite - 100 g
    Hydroquione - 22 g
    Sodium Carbonate - 160 g Anhy or 187 g Mono
    Glycin - 22 g
    1% Benzotriazole Solution - 30 cc
    Cold water to 2,000 mL.

Dilute 1 + 1 for use. Develop 1-1/2 minutes room temperature.

No bromide is needed. Glycin and 1% Benzo replace it.

10. Ben 4

Ben 4 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bromophen

I've settled on Ilford's Bromophen as my standard print developer, and it works quite well with Kentmere Fineprint, which is my fiber paper of choice. I've also developed the Fineprint in 130, which results in noticeably higher contrast. I see no reason why Dektol would not be a good match.

11. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Very happy with Ilford Multigrade developer and Kentmere Fineprint VC FB Glossy paper since Kodak stopped making paper. What is that 3-4 years now? I print 7x17 contact prints and 20x24 enlargements of 8x10 negatives.

John Powers

12. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've settled on PF 130 for use with my Bromide and Kentona. The only developer I believe is superior is Amidol and only for it's increased activity in a water bath. On prints that don't need an extreme water bath the PF130 is indistinguishable. Best of luck. Shawn

13. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use Kentmere FP VC with Zone VI developer.

It mixes easily with two separate bags of powdered chemicals, keeps well, and is relatively inexpensive. You get about 10% off if you buy several packs which lasts me 1-2 years. Good deep blacks. Mixes 1:3.

14. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just ordered some Fomatol PW from Silverprint-W/T glycin based dev so should be good. Also going to try Samuel Fein's Amidol formula (can be found on unblinkingeye.com) and Ilford W/T.

15. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Uncle Bill,

The results of the test are based on your tastes, not others. Give it a try.

Neal Wydra

16. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Has anybody informations regarding the shelf life of mixed Fomatol PW?

Thanks,

17. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OT - Fomatol

I wasn't aware of Fomatol PW - I'll have to give it a try as I'm nearly out of glycin for homebrew Ansco 130 and shipping glycin from The Formulary whilst not too expensive, is a pain... Wonder if it is the same (or very similar) to Ansco 130 - my favourite for just about any paper, including Fineprint FB.

Bob.

18. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Formulary BW-65 or Ansco 130, if you're into brewing your own. Awesome results.

19. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would recommend that people give the benzotriazole variant of 130 a try. I love the tones and rich blacks on WT papers, (both Ilford and Kentmere that I've tried it on).

There's a short discussion in the articles area on this:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum222/38038-pc130-variation-ansco-130-a.html

The eclarke comment has his variation that I tried and prefer.