Paper for Argryotypes?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by coriana6jp, Jun 17, 2009.

1. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi All,

I was recently given two Bostick & Sullivan Argyrotype kits(minus instructions). I loaned one of my books out to a friend, but as I recall Argryotypes require very specific paper requirements.

Does anyone have any suggestion for a good paper to try? I have been doing Kallitypes for a while, but need to order more paper. If I can get a paper that can be used for both that would be great.

Thanks for the advice.

Gary

2. John MacManus

John MacManus Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Paper most important

Hi Gary

You are correct, Argyrotype is most particular about paper. I have been using DIY sensitizer since Feb this year and have had bother finding useful paper. I love Kallitype on COT320 developed with sodium acetate but was hoping for a longer tonal range. Argyrotype doesn't work on COT320 or Platinotype. I suggest you start with Whatman CP paper (from New York Central), lovely rich brown dark tones and cheap too. I have tried the new Weston diploma parchment but can't recommend it because the image doesn't stick to the paper during washing. I am now using Buxton but it is not exactly working and so expensive that testing is out of the question.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your Argyrotype adventures ... John

3. Johnindc

Johnindc Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    PAper for Argyrotype

Try Lenox 100 from Daniel Smith. It also works well with Kallitypes and palladium prints. For argyrotype, you might play around with adding tween and/or precoating the paper with 5% oxalic acid.

4. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    John & John

Thanks for the information. I finally got my book back and searched around a little bit and come to the conclusion Argyrotypes are almost too finicky but I will give the Lenox 100 a try.

Thank you both!

Gary

5. Colin Graham

Colin Graham Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Yeah- I keep wanting to try it, but every time I re-read the argyrotype entry in Christopher James' book I get discouraged too!

[btw- love your signature]

6. FredW

FredW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have found it works well on Rising Stonehenge without any treatment to the paper. It does not work on Platine though.

7. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks to all of you!!

Wasnt Rising Stonehenge discontinued a while ago or is my memory just playing tricks on me.

Too much sushi doing bad things to my brain maybe.

Gary

8. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Fabriano 5 works with Agyrotype.

Don Bryant

9. hchapman

hchapman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Source for Fabriano 5

My usual search sources (Daniel Smith, Dick Blick, Jerry's Artarama) don't carry Fabriano 5. Can you suggest a United States vendor?
    Thank you,
    Harlan

10. bennoj

bennoj Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using the B&S argyrotype kit on Cranes Cover (I know it has another name, but that's what the label on the package says) with what seem to me to be good results (YMMV - I had never seen an argyrotype in person before I did one myself). I know I need to try some other papers but have not done so yet. Time to go paper shopping...

11. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Argyrotype is so-o-o picky about paper, but I've had success with Fabriano Artistico EW after acidifying it. Bienfang 360 translucent vellum works well (without acidification) if you can handle the thin paper in your workflow.

Sam Wang gave me a good tip: dilute the argy solution 1:1 with distilled water before brushing it on the paper. It helps with bleeding in the clearing bath...made all the difference.

Also, toning argys right after the clearing bath helps keep the tone from fading in the fix.

But, there is no doubt that argyrotype can be one of the most frustrating processes...

12. Johnindc

Johnindc Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I just tried EPSON Premium Presentation Paper - Matte Double Sided. Beautiful results!

13. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need mad skills to make an Angrytype.

14. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thats a good name for it, my recent attemps with the paper I have on hand have been very maddening.

Angrytype! That sums it up so far.

Gary

15. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When it works it works very nice but if you have troubles with Argyrotype just leave it aside and go for Vandyke. Just pay attention to the following:

* Rinse the print at least 2 minutes (total) in two successive baths of 1% citric acid to eliminate all unreacted iron ions. Only then use tap water. (That you're certain is not alkaline and doesn't contain iron impurities!) Do not reuse the citric acid first baths, mix fresh for each print. (You don't have to be exact; weight as kitchen recipe such as say... 1 teaspoon per 1000ml...)

* Always tone your Vandykes with gold, platinum or palladium before fixing.

* Do not overfix; 2 minutes in 2% plain anhydrous sodium thiosulfate is more than enough. (Refresh fixer often though! For instance, I don't use the same fixer for more than 3 prints...)

* Wash thoroughly.

That's it, no need to complicate things more than you need to. I like the idea, but I won't do Argyrotypes again -> I'm convinced prints processed as above are as achival as (if not more!) any well done Argyrotype...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009