Paper sizing

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by roy, Mar 21, 2005.

1. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is it practical to think of using spray starch as a sizing medium to prepare papers for salt printing ?

2. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't really know but since all the materials involved in salt printing are relatively inexpensive, why not give it a try? Actually, a size is not really required when salt printing although it will help give the print a more detailed appearence since the image might actually be held in/upon the size rather than the paper fibers.

I've used spray starch as a size in the gum bichromate process after several layers have been printed. It helps refresh the sizing at that point, but I have not had good luck using it as the single initial sizing of the paper. For that I use either gelatin or canvas hide glue sizing which I later harden before printing on the paper.

I think the type of paper will be more of a concern with salt printing. The silver nitrate tends to react with organics in the paper and cause fog. If you find a good paper or discover that spray starch helps prevent fogging, I'd like to hear of those results.

Thanks,

joe

3. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've never tried that but it sounds cheap enough to try! I've used arrowroot starch and knox unflavored gelatine before.. Spray starch sounds like a good idea to me though. Try it and let us know?