PaRodinal, 5 Years Later.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ZorkiKat, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ZorkiKat

ZorkiKat Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to this page, paRodinal has a “maximum shelf life of 90 days“....I say not.

Today, the second batch of paRodinal I brewed in 2006 turned 5 years old. Still in its original recycled HDPE bottle. Half-full, and was stored in not-so-fair conditions: indoors, but not in the dark, and in unregulated tropical temperatures which reach about 35ºC or more in the summer. The bottle has warped, perhaps due to the same reasons why ‘real’ rodinal plastic bottles warp in long-time storage: air depletion of sorts.

[​IMG]

The other endearing qualities of Rodinal, like compensation and increased edge sharpness, have already been observed with paRodinal. Longevity is the only quality left to be seen, and can only be appreciated after some years have passed. Five years is fairly long enough.

To initially test this 5-year old concentrate’s potency, I subjected it to the “standard test” method I use for testing other paRodinal baths whose efficacy has become questionable: by dabbing a bit of the concentrate on a piece of unexposed film. The dabbed area, when the concentrate is good, will darken quickly, and turn black in about 2 seconds. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the old concentrate was able to darken the dabbed area as quickly as a new solution would. This indicated that the old paRodinal was still good.

[​IMG]

I made a 1+50 solution and developed a roll of “Fomapan 400″ , for 11 minutes at 20ºC. This is the standard time for Rodinal diluted in the same manner. No extension or compensation of any sort for any perceived weakening of the developer due to aging was made. The film was developed as if the concentrate was new.

This are what I got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is apparent that paRodinal also shares Rodinal's longevity. Only time will tell if paRodinal can still work after 40 years.

2. chioque

chioque Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great stuff. Are you selling this stuff anywhere, BTW?

3. ZorkiKat

ZorkiKat Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just in Manila :smile:

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I tested a batch recently that was a couple of years old, and it worked perfectly.

5. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

Thanks to ZorkiKat, it is also possible to make a version of PaRodinal which is clear, unlike the version on digitaltruth.com.
    http://photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/00UxmB
    I just tested a sample of the clear version 15 months old with the "dab test" ,it still works OK although the bottle is now only 20% full.
    Interestingly, this initially clear version now has crystals in it but I do not know what they are.

6. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    And that batch that was a couple of years old in Feb 2011 is still going strong!

7. luizjorgemn

luizjorgemn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine has 18 months and is clear and working!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What is PaRodinal?? Thanks

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's a film developer made from Tylenol tablets, very similar to Rodinal.

10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Oh wow!!! Cool!! Where can I find a link with instructions? Lol

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

The original formula was given by Sreenath but Donald Qualls did work on it and introduced it to the photo community. His original instructions are here:
    http://silent1.home.netcom.com/Photography/Dilutions and Times.html#Parodinal
    His version is cloudy.If you want a version that is clear the procedure summarized by Mr O'Connor on p2 of the link I posted above is as good as it gets.The performance of the cloudy and clear versions is identical. Read the safety notes on sodium hydroxide, it is caustic and dissolves people or parts thereof.
    Acetaminophen=Tylenol=Paracetamol for this purpose.

12. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Are results similar to Rodinal or is formula similar to Rodinal ?

What is formula of Tylenol tablets ?

edit : I looked to the link and tylenol is paracetamol. Can anyone give a link to rodinal formula to check the details.

Thank you,
    Umut

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  13. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    After scouring the internet for you, I found where the formula is posted.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/87742-parodinal-5-years-later.html

14. el wacho

el wacho Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ah how i miss australia...

15. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So checking in again with my same first batch of paRodinal, which I've traced to 2008 via this post:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/21181-rodinal-substitutes-11.html

I thought I'd give it a go to process a few test rolls (Noblex just back from the shop) of Adox CHS 100 (EI 200, 1:50, 10' 15" at 75F, which is the temperature of our cold tap water), and the negs look fine. There's some kind of precipitate rattling around in the bottle, but the film doesn't seem to mind.