Partial Bleaching Prints...

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Nigel Harley, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Nigel Harley

Nigel Harley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the effect of a partially bleached print... ie just before it is sepia toned.
    Is the final image after washing stable, ie only bleached and NOT toned?

Nigel

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Only if it's fixed after bleaching.

3. Mateo

Mateo Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Eventually it will darken. But you can fix it after partially bleaching so that it won't darken. The print will bleach more than you might expect though when it hits the fix. It's a pretty common practice to partially tone in selenium, partially bleach, refix and then tone more fully in selenium. It's pretty easy to get some funky yellowing with this method but....good luck.

4. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sometimes lightly bleach, sepia tone, then lightly rebleach and refix. The second bleaching strips away density from 'underneath' the sepia areas giving them a glow. If done carefully, it need not affect darker tones. Can be a very handy technique for certain subjects. Handy in the UK where sunlit areas might need a touch extra help (cos the sun if often low intensity if present at all). Have to be careful not to overdo it as the highlight can end up flat sepia with little density or contrast.

5. blackmelas

blackmelas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No, the partial bleaching alone is not stable unless you use something like Farmer's reducer which is a bleach and fixer mix.

6. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bleaching re-introduces halides to the emulsion, which attach themseves to the silver. It is this that reacts to light and will slowly darken (print out) over time. Whether or not you then tone, you will still need to re-fix. This removes the halides and the image becomes stable again.
    Can you tell I've be reading Tim Rudman's toning book?

7. Nigel Harley

Nigel Harley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks rogueish.... I will ensure I re-fix. It is easier to do something when you know why you are doing it!