Participation in the Scituate Art Festival, N. Scituate, RI

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by naturephoto1, Sep 23, 2006.

1. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

If anyone is interested, I will be participating in the Scituate Art Festival this coming Columbus Day Weekend- October 7-9. This is one of the largest Art Festivals in New England and draws somewhere on the order of 150,000.

I will be displaying somewhere around 20 color images of Nature, Landscape and Wildlife printed from transparencies by a Chromira Machine. Images displayed will range from 11" x 14" to 30" x 371/2" with the bulk of the images either 16" x 24" (or 19" x 24") or 20" x 30" (or 24" x 30"). 2 images will be printed as 30" x 371/2" in Cyro AR OP3 (Abrasive Resistant Optically pure Acrylic), and one piece (24" x 30") in Museum Glass. The images displayed will have been shot on Leica 35mm SLR R series cameras and Linhof (primarily Technikardan 45S) cameras. I almost forgot to include that the photos will be displayed in custom made wooden frames.

I would welcome any APUGers to visit the show.

Thanks

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2006
  2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Rich, I sure wish I could, but I'll be on the other side of the world that day. I do wish you the best of luck, and I hope you sell every piece you take with you.

3. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I know in your case that you are on your way to Australia/NZ so I certainly wouldn't expect your attendance. Let us weigh this: a photo trip to Australia and NZ or go to an Art Show in RI. :wink: I know given the option I would take the photo shoot. But for me, it is generally one of my most consistent and biggest money making events of the year especially if we get at least 2 out of the 3 days with good weather. :D

In any case, I was thinking more in terms of those living in the RI, MA, and CT areas that may wish to stop by. That is why I also posted the announcement in the New England Regional Group as well.

Rich

4. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will check our schedule...

5. Derek Lofgreen

Derek Lofgreen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rich,
    I wish I could come by but it's sort of a long drive for me. I would love to be able to see some of these prints you have. Take a quick snap of your display and post it so we can all see. Good luck with sales.

D.

6. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gee Derek,

I'll say that would be a long drive from Colorado. Thanks for comments for luck.

I probably will not get a booth shot, but I may post an indoor booth shot of my 10 x 15 booth that is 1 or so years old.

Rich

7. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Good luck Rich,
    I hope you have fun, and sell lots of prints!
    I also hope the Weather God's appreciate analog!
    Best,
    Rory

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2006
  8. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Rory,

Thanks for the well wishes. This show normally suffers at least one of the three with rain. Frequently 2. Last year was uncharacteristic and we had 3 days of rain. :sad: As a result, sales suffered dramatically and crowds were down from normal. :sad: :sad: The 2 previous years Columbus Day Monday was beautiful weather and sales were great. :D I hope though as you mentioned that the Weather God's give us good weather, not only for analog Photography but for all the other exhibitors of Art, Craft, and Antiques. :smile:

Rich

9. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Drew,

If you can stop by it would be great to meet you and your family. If you do come though, be prepared for the potentially huge crowd. If weather is good the crowds can almost to be too large. But the people art hearty, they appreciate Art Work (more traditional). I do have a following at this point and the public seems to appreciate Photography. Just hope for at least 2 good days of weather.

Rich

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Rich--It's not necessary to post in multiple forums, because all the new threads appear in the "New Posts" view, so I am merging these threads in the forum where they seem to be getting the most views.

11. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi David,

Thanks. Only listed in both so that the Regional Group saw the listing.

Rich

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi rich

i live in ri, and if i can make it i will :smile:
    it would be nice to meet you and see some
    of your work!

all the best,
    john

13. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi John,

Look forward to having the opportunity to meet you and your family.

Rich

14. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since Derek asked and I don't think that I will be getting a photo of my outdoor display, I am uploading an indoor booth photo with my lights of the booth. This photo does not include the largest images or the piece in Museum Glass. Additionally, the booth is set up a little differently than this image.

Rich

Attached Files:

15. davetravis

davetravis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good luck Rich!
    I checked out your show schedule, you're a busy guy!
    A couple questions, if you have the time.
    Back east, do you find that the same photogs are always in the same shows?
    Like you're always competing with the same folks?
    Out here, that's very true, with only a few "out-of-towners."
    I have family back east, and would consider doing a show maybe next summer. Do you think Colorado stuff would do well back there?
    Also, I noticed you're displaying without colored mats. How have these done for you?
    Thanks in advance, and have a great show!
    DT

16. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the well wishing.

Yes many of us return to the same shows year after year. We try to return to the ones that produce good reaction and sales. When possible, we find replacements for poor (er) performing shows. It is a tough business and sales from show to show and year to year can change dramatically. But there is turnover of exhibitors. As some drop out or do not jury in new people appear for competition. Some of the shows that I participate in have larger percentages of east coast exhibitors, though they are not necessarily from the state in which we are exhibiting.

As to photos of Colorado, it is amazing but as I display (and have been displaying work) for the last 10 years I still sell a high percentage of images that were taken in Colorado and Utah 10 and 11 years ago. Good images are good whether recent or older. What is so amazing, is even when I participate in shows like Mystic, CT which is along the shore, I still sell a high percentage of specific images from CO, UT, Adirondacks in NY, Dark Hollow Falls from VA, etc. And even my more local images even from Acadia, NP, ME do not sell as well.

As to the mat colors originally I used to use a little darker than a neutral Gray (Crescent called in Nimbus). But about 8? years ago I switched to prep with acid free Non-Buffered Rising photo mount boards. I decided to use a museum or gallery presentation. I decided to use the white because I used to go crazy trying to match the color mats to go with the colors in the photos. You might match a color on 2 or even 3 sides, but it might not work for the whole image. Additionally, because I had so much color in the booth, the added problems of even more color from the mats would have made things a nightmare.

I had switched from silver colored aluminum frames to the Nielsen black frames about 7 years ago. About 3-4 years ago I started putting out the frames in the custom wooden frames that are unique to my photos. I now rely on the color of the wooden frames to either complement or contrast the colors of the image rather than use the colored mats. I know from many comments from the public that they like the frames and they think that the frames go well with the subject. Ocasionally someone asks about using colored mats, but I suggest using the colored mat closest to the glass with the white non-Buffered mat board nearest the photo paper.

Rich

17. davetravis

davetravis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rich,
    Thanks for the reply!:smile:
    A ten year show veteran! Man, I bet you've seen it all! (and more than you care to:wink:)
    Still using the same tent? I've been on the circuit for 3 years now.
    When I visit Maine about every 2 years, I take an 11x14 portfolio and show to friends and family. They seem to like places that are less familiar. I think you're right about a good image will basically sell anywhere. Out here I sell maple trees shot in the White Mountains to folks that have roots back there, and miss their hometowns. Colorado is a true "melting pot," and it's rare to meet a "native." Maybe that's why travel photogs also do well out here, they have a little bit of everywhere.
    I use the light colored mat next to the photo, and the dark one next to the glass. My biggest problem has always been "orange peel" on the polyester based prints. Visit a Mangleson gallery and you'll see what I mean. I finally decided to just hinge mount, and save the surface.
    I think I'm ready to do more indoor shows!:tongue:
    Good luck during the rest of your season.
    DT

18. Derek Lofgreen

Derek Lofgreen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the booth shot Rich. I was hoping to see your acrylic print though. It sounds very interesting. Oh well, maybe another time. Good luck with your show.

Dave, I live in your neck of the woods and would love to stop buy one of your shows sometime. I'll look at your schedule and see if your close by sometime.

D.

19. davetravis

davetravis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Derek,
    I PMed ya!
    DT

20. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Derek,

Maybe you misunderstood, or I wasn't specific enough. The photos are not acrylic, the glazing material (glass, plexiglass,etc.) is a very expensive high end acrylic. It looks indistinguishable from glass from a distance. But the acrylic is UV protective and is clear; it does not have a greenish or bluish cast that many picture framing glasses have.

Rich