Parting Out Enlargers

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by AlbinoBlacMan, Sep 27, 2013.

1. AlbinoBlacMan

AlbinoBlacMan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have two enlargers that I've had sitting around for a while now. I really wish I had the time and space to set them up but that hasn't happened. Since I'm in the middle of nowhere I'm thinking of parting them out, rather than selling them as a whole.

So my question is what parts are useful and what aren't (or does that depend on the enlarger?). Are there some things that are worth some cash or not really? I'll definitely be listing enlarging lenses, negative holders, and lens boards but for the rest should I list parts specifically on the Buy and Sell board or should I just list the enlarger and let people have their pick of whatever they need?

Any help or advice on how to make sure the majority of this stuff goes to someone, rather than to the dump would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll not help you commit heresy.:D

3. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    enlargers are sort of low-demand right now -- you can pick them up for less than $100 easily, including Leica enlargers if you are lucky.

Parting them out makes the situation more dicey -- why buy parts when it is easier to buy a whole enlarger? I mean, when a bulb in a movie projector burns out i buy a new projector -- it's cheaper and thrift stores have them pretty regularly.

ditto enlargers -- my suggestion is see if you can find someone within driving distance who wants to set up a darkroom and make it worth their while to take one off your hands. Unless you are selling a Leitz Focomat, if you make $25 on the deal consider yourself lucky.

4. AlbinoBlacMan

AlbinoBlacMan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I understand what you guys are saying... Might just have to donate to a school or something

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which nowhere are you in the middle of?

6. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Or you could keep them for a day when your interest returns. You know-the day where you're sorry you got rid of them?

7. AlbinoBlacMan

AlbinoBlacMan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Saskatoon (and I'm actually on the edge of it not the middle... hopefully that doesn't complicate matters)

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a lot of middle there.

Are you saying you intend to get rid of all your enlarger equipment? If so, don't. If things change, you will regret it.

If you are seeking to downsize, try Craigslist first.

9. gleaf

gleaf Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Did I miss the brand and maximum negative size information. My evil black cloud is thinking along lines of replacing the bulb/light source with led and turning them into night lights. My photo sideis thinking save the equipment. There are always folks returning and needing start up... or am I living in my wishful world space state?

10. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you enlarger is a "Prinz" 35mm enlarger then it is probably only good as a gift to a beginner. If you have a late model Omega E5 with black 5x7 Chromega head and Chromegatrol or a Durst L1000 then you have enlargers someone else may want.

11. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Donate to school? Good luck - most are dumping the ones they have. I tried selling b22 locally cheap with no luck. 4x5 and dichro still seem to have some value. Shame to see good enlargers on craigslist not selling even for pennies on the dollar.

12. AlbinoBlacMan

AlbinoBlacMan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The one that I really want to move (due to lack of space) is an Omega D6. So yeah it's 4x5... Any value there?

13. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Getting rid of that would be a big mistake. You really don't want to do that.

14. Randy Moe

Randy Moe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isn't there a lot of room in the middle of nowhere?

I know your enlarger will be very desirable one day soon.

Heck, I have collected all I have room for and I am restoring, using and waiting.

15. Randy Moe

Randy Moe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just donated a DII and I have another DII and a 67 they want, not all colleges have ended film.

No tax write off either, I make so little there is no such thing.

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take it off the baseboard and store it - it is a great enlarger.

17. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

A local store moved to a smaller place and the enlargers went to a scrap metal dealer.