passepartouts and storages

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by stark_674, Apr 16, 2011.

1. stark_674

stark_674 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all,

two so wide questions:

1. Which format do you print in MF? Do you use standard square frames and passepartouts (not often very reliable at cheap costs)? Do you use a self cutting passepartout or similar?

2. What do you do with all the picture you make? An album? gifts to friends :smile:? business?

Just to have ideas

Thanks
    Denny

2. sandholm

sandholm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi
    Its all custome, but I use a Logan passepartout cuter, which cuts perfect passepartouts in minutes. I also visit a lot of second hand shops/markets and pick up frames for $2-50$ (depending on the frame) which has some horrible painting/drawing/photo inside and just convert it to my use. You can find a lot of really good frames for $2-$5 dollar which has really bad paint work but otherwise in really good condition. A bit of paint remover and a can of black spray paint and you have a really nice looking frame.
    1: Framed which is either hung on my wall, at the photo club (we have a gallery), sold or if a friend like it might en up as a gift
    2: In my slip case portfolio (i use the one from silverprint), this is use to show galleries and other that might be interested
    3: Storage, I use the portfolio box from silverprint. These are prints that I like, it might be a work in progress and this print is done, or it might be a work that I have finished but not 100% happy with, but still want to save it. I note in my print journal were a specific print is stored/sold/kept.

A picture I am working with I have it posted (non framed to start with) in my daylight room or home office, so I can look at it and make notes what I want to change. For me it takes 1-2 weeks of random looking at a print to figure out were i want to go.

cheers
    Denny

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find 90% of my frames at flea markets, thrift shops, and yard sales. I dont buy just any frame, it has to be quirky. As far as passpartouts, my neighbor has a frame shop,and matts all my prints for the frames. I buy the remaining 10% of my frames from her as well. I'm a big fan of antique oval frames, and often shoot with that in mind.

My wife uses the prints as decor, and we guift them. I give many to charity fund raisers locally, they actually generate decent donations. I do sell some from time to time.

I dont store many prints, when I do they end up in an empty photo paper box, usually until I figure out its fate, then it gets pulled out.

4. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use a Logan cutter for the mattes. You can find used for under $100 US, and easy to learn.