Paterson 35mm developing tank problem.

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by thomsonrc, Feb 28, 2008.

1. thomsonrc

thomsonrc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi

I recently bought a Paterson tank for developing single 35mm films. It didnt come with a central column like the multiple reel tanks I have but the seller said it wasnt needed. I tried a film in it and it was fogged, I dont think it could have been fogged prior to processing so I now wonder if the tank should have come with a central column? Any ideas?

Thanks

Ritchie

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All Paterson tanks need a central black plastic core, into which the funnel built into the lid projects, thus creating a light trap. Fogging is inevitable without this!

Regards,

David

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All Paterson tanks need a centre column, and always have. You were conned.

Ian

4. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed; looks like the seller was talking s***e!

5. haris

haris Guest

Center column is must. And as I know Paterson tankscome with with center column included (atleas mine two System 4 tanks are), so question is who removed it from box?

Center column not only block light (eliminate fogging), but with holding reel in place it also prevent reel to float when tank is filled with chemicals, and moving of reel when tank is turned during processing, and thus prevent from bad development even if film is not fogged.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2008
  6. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    you can pick up one at B&H.

what a jerk that seller was.

7. thomsonrc

thomsonrc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Ritchie

8. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know if anyone else noticed but the center coulmn from the Super System 4 is slightly longer the the old System 4.
    I have both type of tanks and I use the old System 4 as I don't seem to like the Super one.
    One day while screwing down the lid tightly I heard a crunching and the tank started leaking at the bottom. Sure enough I cracked the bottom of my System 4 tank.
    When I finished I compared the columns and found the slight difference in height. This is what cracked the bottom of my tank. I supler glued the crack and now it stopped leaking. And, now I apy attention to make sure I don't mix up the columns.

So, keep that in mind if you have an old System 4 tank but get a colun for a Super System 4 tank.

9. Fraxinus

Fraxinus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was chatting to the Paterson guys at a trade show this week and spares for most Paterson items are available if you contact them direct on 0121 520 4830 (UK) or via www.patersonphotographic.com.
    However, nothing available for the old System 4 tanks I'm afraid - I checked as I have two large tanks with no lids!

You can purchase the foam mats for their contact frames though, which is what I was after as mine have perished. It's good to know that not all things need to be consigned to the bin when they wear out.

10. Patrick Latour

Patrick Latour Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  11. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. thomsonrc

thomsonrc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    But i have got the agitator! I thought I needed a central column to put the reel on, not an agitator? Now I'm confused. With my multi reel tanks there are columns and agitators, and I never use the latter.

Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks

Ritchie

13. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ritchie you just need the central column, otherwise as already been said your tank will not be light tight and the reel will just move around in the chemicals.

14. sjperry

sjperry Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Re: new tank?

Why don't you just take that tank back to seller and buy a brand new Patterson tank from Freestyle, or another vendor that supports this website. I recommend supporting production of new equipment whenever possible, and these tanks are expensive.

Steve Perry

15. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need the center column, which is part of the package sold by Freestyle (as shown in the link I've provided in a previous post). Here is the link again...

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=1389

If you don't want the extra agitator, just throw it away. :wink: