Paterson Five Reel Tank

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Brandon D., Mar 23, 2009.

1. Brandon D.

Brandon D. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got a question question...

I'm thinking about getting a Paterson Five Reel tank (five reels for 35mm film, three reels of 120 size film). The data sheets that I looked at said that I could use normal development times for up to five reels in one tank. And I don't plan on ever developing over five reels at one time.

Does everything else in the process stay the same as if I would be developing with a small tank?

Thanks!

2. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes

3. Brandon D.

Brandon D. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks a lot!

4. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just to add, I use a 5 roll tank quite often & develop the same as with a 2 roll tank. I believe it's if you go to the 8 roll tanks that you need to give a bit extra.

5. Brandon D.

Brandon D. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, data sheets give compensation instructions for developing more than five rolls. I'll probably just start off using a two roll tank so that I can learn the ropes. And once I know what I'm doing, I'll move up to the five roll tank.

Btw, thanks for sharing your experience!

6. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use both my 5-reel and 2-reel tanks, for both 35 and 120 film. The 2 biggest issues I have encountered is: 1) ensuring there is adequate coverage of chemicals over the film and; 2) more froth (or bubbles) from inverted agitation techniques. Both of these are only when not doing a full load (e.g 2 reels of 120 in the big tank). The solution to the first is ensuring you always use extra liquid to cover (I always add 10-20% more liquid to ensure adequate coverage) and the solution to the second is to either use the agitation stick or slide the container along the counter while spinning the tank 90 degrees with each turn. I have never needed to change development technique when switching between the tanks.

7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have Paterson tanks in 2-, 3-, 5- and 8-roll sizes and I find they all work well. The bigger ones take longer to fill and drain, and agitation is more of an issue, but the results have been good.

I haven't noticed any great need to extend development time with my 8-roll tank, but I extend development slightly because I start draining 15 seconds before the end of the time, and it takes longer than that to drain it. Still, the difference is only a few seconds.