Paterson FX 39 Developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jeffbuck, Apr 28, 2005.

1. jeffbuck

jeffbuck Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Does somebody know where to get the stuff? Can't find it at B&H, Adorama, Freestyle, Calumet, Photographer's Formulary.... -jeff buckels (albuquerque)

2. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. jeffbuck

jeffbuck Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Found the Paterson FX 39 at B&H

Thank you, Mr. Foley. I don't know why I couldn't find that myself when I was going through the B&H website.... By the way, to anyone: This FX 39 is marketed as high-defintion developer for the new (is it "tabular"?) films. "FX" is the old designation for the orig. HD developers that started coming along in the early 60s, developed by I-don't-remember-who (Chas. Farmer?). FX-1, FX-2, etc. Does anyone know the significance of the number 39? Apart from the fact that it was Jack Benny's last birthday? By the way, Clay Harmon, one of the best materials-testers around, recommended this stuff to me.... -JB

4. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I THINK its the proprietary version of FX-37, which is published in the 'Darkroom Cookbook.' Its my developer of choice for APX in 35mm and 120.

5. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Geoffrey Crawley is the inventor of FX-1,FX-2,...etc. Many of his formulations were published in the British Journal.

FX-39 is one of the formulations that Crawley did not publish. Crawley sold FX-39 (and several others) to Patterson.