Paterson proofer question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mesh, Jul 12, 2012.

1. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sorry for the silly question, but I recently found a second-hand 8x10 Paterson proofer with 120 and 35mm glass and I can't find a manual online. I would like to swap the 120 glass (currently installed) for the 35mm. I assume I need do something with the 'little black hinges' but am worried if I use force I'll break it. I am missing something really obvious here... perhaps the glass can't be exchanged at all? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never knew that both pieces of glass were available with one 'backboard' for want of a better term. I have a Paterson 120 version and have never had an inkling to try to take it apart.

I have an all purpose 8x10 proofer for 35mm- 4x5 thatonce was a 35mm proofer (not Paterson). The galss came out of its from it being left vertical in a hot place for many years in storage.

I replaced the now broken glass with integral carrier for a blank sheet, and now proof most often after the negs are sleeved into the whole page negative storing solutions from PrintFile and the like.

3. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you pry out the little black plastic caps the fixing screws are visible. Back in the day,the glass part was available as a separate item from Paterson.

4. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for the replies. I will try and be a little more forceful with the black plastic caps then ;-) Thanks.