Patient Process - antique Deardorff 8x10 and carbon transfer (John Bentley video)

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by TheToadMen, May 18, 2013.

1. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Sep 18, 2012
    Netherlands, EU
    This short film called "Patient Process" was mentioned on the ALT-PHOTO mailing list:

"Very cool video of photographer John Bladen Bentley of Toronto with his 8x10 Deardorff and his color carbon (UltraStable) prints"

Description on Vimeo: John Bladen Bentley is a Toronto-based photographer who uses an antique 8x10 Deardorff large format camera to capture beauty in the most unlikely places. He develops his photos on print using a colour carbon transfer process which give his photos a richness in colour and permanency. It's a time-consuming process that requires five days to make one print. This was part of commission by The Revue Film Society and Revue Cinema in Toronto highlighting two photographers for a show called 'Persistence of Vision' that is part of the Contact Photography Festival.

John says excactly why I like analogue & large format photography: "I use large format because it slows you down and it makes you look".

Nuff said!!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
  2. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Feb 3, 2004
    san jose, ca
    Multi Format
    Kept looking for the antique 8x10 camera. All I saw was a V-8. Look like mine, about 40 years old.

Nice piece.