Pease be patient about the gallery changes

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nothing is set in stone. I would like to run the gallery as subscriber only for a few days, then open viewing to all (but still keep uploading as subscriber only). Then I'll compare some usage stats and see if it is feasible to allow viewing to all registered users, with uploads limited to subscribers only. Please be patient while I find the optimal solution for the site including the limitations of the software we use, the sky is not falling..

Thanks, Sean

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    We are all behind you Sean.

One idea for you though. I saw on Photosig that non-subscribers are only able to view full-sized images that are less than 72 hours old. After that time period, they are only able to see the thumbnail. Subscribers are able to view all.

3. RAP

RAP Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sounds like growing pains to me :smile:

4. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might have to buy a 2 gallon jug of Mylanta soon :tongue:

5. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you use it to develop film? Is that one of those alternate process chemicals? haha :wink:

6. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1 cup Mylanta
    2 cups good red wine

The negs will be lousy, but you won't care.

7. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Psig..

well roteague: that's false.. (not that it matters a lot)
    Psig has three kind of memberships: limited (non paying with not too may critiques)
    basic: non paying, with full access to see and upload an image every 72 hours (and more if "earned" points..)
    Premium; which is the subscribers. (three uploads every 72 hours + extras)

just to clear it up..

best regards

8. jss

jss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i tried photosig before i discovered apug. i think sites where you "earn" the priviledge of participating dont work too well. i spent some time writing up some honest and descriptive critiques of some images. still i had no access. i browsed around a bit and saw nearly all "critiques" were a few words at best. i think systems like that are just asking to be exploited. i felt pretty ripped off.

i'd rather try a site for free and, if it keeps my interest, pay for it.

9. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like it's not effecting the amount of visitors we are getting, so maybe they really are coming to see the wealth of knowledge as was suggested a while back on another thread. As Robert said "We are all behind you Sean" and try not to get too many late nights :D

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I pretty much felt the same way. The system they have just begs for critiques, all in the quest for getting enough "points" to be able to post your own stuff. The site really doesn't impress me.

My point was just a way that non-subscribers could still see gallery images, while at the same time cutting bandwidth; although on second thought, I wonder how many people actually go through pages and pages, looking at some of the older images on the site - something only Sean could answer.