Pec-12 safe for Kodachrome(current stock)???

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by DanielStone, Apr 15, 2009.

1. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey all,

was scanning some of my newly shot kodachrome last night, and noticed that there were some stuck dust particles to some of the film. So, out i got the pec-12 and a few pads to clean with, but after cleaning the slide, i noticed that there was a pinkish residue on the pec-pad.

i immediately stopped, and did not continue. it got the dust off, but do any of you know if this can harm kodachrome?

help would be appreciated. Since i am wet-mounting the kodachrome, i want to have it clean before I scan. I just DON'T want to harm my film.

I've also had a problem with a residue sometimes being left on film(e-6 and c-41) after cleaning with Pec-12. Didn't show up in the scans, but don't like the idea of dirty film, eww.....

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  2. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have also heard of people making a diluted solution of de-ionized, de-mineralized h20. the idea is to make a less-concentrated cleaner. any experience?

3. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The idea is that probably pec-12 is an organic based solvent. Dust trapped inside the emulsion can be "released" only if the emulsion itself swells and Pec-12 cannot achieve this.
    In other words you have to soak the film in demineralised water plus some photo-flo or better a very diluite formaldehyde solution.
    This is just my 2 cents.

Photo Engineer has the final say, of course... :smile:

4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I thought Kodachrome was lacquered as the final step of processing, or is this info hopelessly out-of-date?

5. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been told that the first cleaning of kodachrome causes something to come off of it and that this is nothing to be worried about.

6. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A google search for pec12 msds finds...

Section II Composition and Ingredient Information
    Chemical Identity :
    Methanol, CAS# 67-56-1
    N-Butyl Acetate CAS 123-86-4

Old Kodak film cleaner was hexane a petrochemical solvent, not an alcohol. Is either safe? I don't really know.

7. Fredrik Sandstrom

Fredrik Sandstrom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, several decades out of date. :smile:

8. Franklin M.

Franklin M. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    SilverFast ?

Hi Daniel, which scanner software are you using ? Have you tried SilverFast ? I'm very pleased with the results.
    They have included a dust & scratch removal tool for kodachromes a couple of months ago. (Also new are Kodachrome IT8 targets.)
    Perhaps this is a safer way than possibly ruining your film.

9. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi,

i am using an Imacon flextight 646 scanner. it is at my local photography center (covina, ca). I have had no problems scanning so far, just using the standard rgb settings as a starting point. since then i have created some profiles that i use, mostly with a minor curves adjustment to bring up shadow details a nudge.

otherwise, no problems, still can't figure out what the pinkish cast is from.

if anyone knows, please let me know. i don't want to harm my film!

thanks