Pentacon 6 Wide Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by davela, Aug 14, 2008.

1. davela

davela Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking for an economical wide angle lens for my Pentacon 6 TL. The Zeiss Flektogon 50/4 still commands pretty serious money, at least if recent eBay sales are any indication. I've seen a lens called the Mir-38 which is a 65mm F3.5 that typically sells for less and is newer and it may do the job for me (at least for now).

One thing I can't figure out is if the Mir-38 fits both the Kiev 60/88 AND the Pentacon 6? Do all these cameras have the same lens mount and back focus or are there differences I need to be aware of? Maybe I should just pony-up the money for a Flektogon? I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

2. davela

davela Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, I think I may have figured out that the Kiev 60 and Pentacon 6 have a compatible mount and back focus, but the Kiev 88 has a longer back focus. Does this sound right?

3. naknak

naknak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Buy the Mir 3,5/65 (Mir 38b).It's very sharp and contrasty.

Kyprianos

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  4. nsouto

nsouto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may be wrong but it is my understanding the Pentacon 6 is a breech lock and the Kiev88 is a screw mount.
    When in doubt, have a look at the Arax site:
    http://araxfoto.com/
    lens section.

5. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pentacon 6 and Kiev 60 mounts are the same, Kiev 88 is different.

I don't know what you consider serious money, but I paid about £50 plus shipping (~US$120) for a single-coated zebra Flektogon 50/4 in P6 mount from an ebay seller "cupog". Newer multi-coated lenses go for more.

One thing to bear in mind: The 50/4 requires 86mm filters, which could set you back more than the cost of the lens for a quality brand.

Ian

6. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unless its a Kiev 88CM, which is the Pentacon/Kiev 60 mount :D

Yes, the normal Kiev 88 is a screw mount. You can get an adapter that will allow its lenses to be mounted on a Pentacon mount. The Russian/Ukranian lenses are often available in both mounts, so check the description carefully, or ask the seller.

The 50/4 is a decent lens, probably the best of the (commonly available) wide-angles available for that mount. Rather than go for the later all black multi-coated version, go for the slightly earlier single coated version. You'll save quite a bit of money, and I'm pretty sure you won't spot the difference in results. You should be able to score one for US$100. I got the zebra version for under $100. As previously pointed out though, then filter diameter is large, and the filters correspondingly expensive. There are some cheaper filters out there in 86mm, but you may find they vignette a little. Another option is a step-up ring to a more common size, but the filters are still going to be costly. Or, go with some square filters, and hold them in front of the lens!

Have a read at the Pentacon Six site for some further info.

7. weasel

weasel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I went through three 50mm fleks before I ended up with a really good one. The aperture broke on the first, and i could find no one to fix it for less than I paid for the lens ( a zebra model). The next, another zebra, was so unsharp as to be unusable. I refused to even resell it, as it truly is a dog.
    Finally I bit the bullet and bought a newer, multicoated version in like new shape from Cupog. Yes, I paid more, but it would have been cheaper to do so in the first place.
    Bottom feeding is always a crap shoot.
    I have never used the russian lens you mention, so can't speak to it.
    The flek is a jewel of a lens. It and the 180 sonnar are the best reasons to have a p6 mount camera.

8. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As others have said, the Pentacon 6, Kiev 6C/60/88CM, and some modified Kiev 88s use the same mount, but unmodified non-CM Kiev 88s use a different mount. Read descriptions carefully if you buy online, and check photos, too, if available -- sometimes sellers who don't know what they're selling mislabel something after minimal research.

I bought a new-old-stock (NOS) Mir-38B from 1989 a few months ago, and it's quite good optically. It seems a bit cheap mechanically, but if you want a bargain lens, it can be a good deal. Note, however, that the difference between 65mm and 80mm (if you've already got an 80mm normal lens) isn't all that huge. My Kiev 6C came with a 90mm lens, so 65mm was a bit more of a difference for me.

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's worth saving up for the 50mm Flektogon. When I had a Pentacon 6, I had four CZJ lenses (something like 50/75/150/300), and that was definitely the best in the kit. When I traded it at Ken Hansen for lighting gear circa 1991, they said they were willing to buy the whole kit just for the Flektogon.

10. davela

davela Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK guys, this is great expert advice from all. After reading the responses here and checking the prices a little more carefully, I've decided to hold out for a Flektogon 50/4 in native P6 mount (Zebra or otherwise). For one thing the 65mm Mir-38 is a little too close to my 80mm Biometar in angular coverage - At this time my photographic subjects require a true wide-angle and I think the Flektogon will best meet this need for now. I'll post some sample shots here when I get one up and running!

11. aparat

aparat Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree that it is definitely worth saving for the 50mm Flektogon. I am very glad I did. It's a great lens.

12. isaacc7

isaacc7 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didn't Schneider make a wide angle lens in this mount for the Exakta 66? I remember the 80mm being an amazing performer, I'm sure the wide angle would be just as good...

Isaac

13. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There are wider lenses in Pentacon 6 lens mount from Ukraine than the 65mm. The newest design is a Multi-coated MC-Arsat 55mm shift lens, new for $388. http://araxfoto.com/lenses/arsat-55-shift/

The Mir 26 45mm wide angle for $229 (new) multicoated version. http://araxfoto.com/lenses/mir-26/

the MC Arsat 30mm fisheye for $349 (new) http://araxfoto.com/lenses/arsat-fisheye/

These are all usable on any Pentacon 6 mount camera, and the vendor shown in the links above is very reliable and has warranty on all his products.

14. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Kiev 88CM has the same back focus as the Pentacon and the Kiev 60.

The 55mm PC ARSAT is my favorite of the Ukrainian Wide Angles, IMHO it is right up there with the 50mm MC Flektogon (I own both of these lenses - and the 65mm ARSAT as well.)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
  15. davela

davela Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As it turns out I was able to pickup a nice Mir-38 65mm for $48 on eBay plus shipping form a USA seller. Although my ultimate goal is the 50/4 Flektogon, I couldn't resist the Mir at that price. I'll add a Flektogon within a few weeks.

16. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The beauty of the Zeiss Jena and Ukraine made Pentacon 6 mount lenses, is you could purchase every single one of them, the Ukraine ones NEW, and good used Zeiss Jena ones, and still come in under the cost of ONE brand new Hasselblad lens for their current digital medium-format camera.