Pentax 645 lens to Pentax 35mm body

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Feral Donkey, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Feral Donkey

Feral Donkey Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Madison, WI
    4x5 Format
    How well does the adapter ring work on the more modern slr bodies? I have a bunch of manual focus 645 lenses that I'd like to use if it's worth doing.

Ok. I'll come clean. I bought a Pentax istDL digital slr for the business and I'd like to save some company money by not having to buy a new set of lenses for this camera. That's what I want to use these lenses on. I still only use film for my artwork. B&H says this about the lens mounting of this body.

"PENTAX KAF mount compatible with PENTAX KAF2, KAF and KA mount lenses
    Power zoom function not available
    K-mount lenses usable with restrictions
    S-mount lenses usable with adapter and restrictions
    67/645 lenses usable with adapter and restrictions"

What are the restrictions? I don't care if I have to use the camera manually just as long as it meters internally and runs the aperture blades when I shoot. Will the adapter ring allow me to get a ttl meter reading and run the blades?

Any help will be greatly apreciated. If a moderator kills this thread because I used the "D" word, I'll understand.
  2. maxbloom

maxbloom Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Multi Format
    From an identical thread on "ThePhotoForum" :
  3. dunetraveller

dunetraveller Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Las Vegas, N
    Medium Format
    If you use the Pentax K adapter, your lens' focal length will operate as the 35mm lens of the same numerical focal length (eg. Your 75mm standard lens for the 645 will be the equivalent of a 75mm lens on the 35mm camera body). Makes things awfully simple, doesn't it? Also means your "super-wide" 645 35mm lens is just a wide "normal" for 35mm work. This same holds true when using a 67 lens on a 645 using the 645 adapter.