Pentax 67 / 6x7 in BGN condition - what to expect

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by vlasta, Nov 7, 2010.

1. vlasta

vlasta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tempted to by an Pentax 67, or 6x7, outfit from KEH in bgn condition. Till now I bought a number of lenses in ex or better condition and totally satisfied with them.
    Never bought camera body from them so in great dillema what bgn outfit will emerge. Dents, dings and brassing will not me make too happy. And return of goods is complicated bussines in my case.

Any advice?

2. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    KEH bargain can vary quite a bit. I've ordered a number of bargain lenses and they were really nice. I recently ordered a bargain Olympus body and it was pretty beat and I returned it. Based on your comments, I'd stick to an EXC or better. You can ask them what to expect for the particular body you are looking at. It may have a single big mark or a ding with the rest of the body being great.

3. vlasta

vlasta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    EXC outfits are 6x7, but 67 which I prefer are only BGN, since my dilemma.
    Do they give informations what to expect for the particular body?

4. Casey Kidwell

Casey Kidwell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Considering how inexpensive 67's are I would advise you to get the newest , cleanest body you can afford. A VERY common failing on these is the frame advance and it's not cheap to repair. As far as lenses, viewfinders etc., go for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  5. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think there is much difference between the 6x7 with MLU and the 67 except for the shutter timing being electro Vs mechanical. Its when you step up to the 67II is were the changes are. So I would get a EXC 6x7MLU over a BGN 67.

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not from my experience. If you insist, the rep will just repeat the standard they use to grade their equipment. It seems their inventory system does not contain details and they are certainly not going to go to warehouse to look at the particular gear for you. (they didn't for me)

Personally, I buy EX and higher rated gear only.

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I wouldn't try to save money by getting a camera that isn't working correctly. These aren't rare cameras, so there is no reason to get one that's not in correct working condition. You'll be highly frustrated if you buy one, it doesn't work. You return it for another, that one doesn't work.

Just spend the extra money and get one that works.

8. aroth87

aroth87 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go for the EXC and leave the BGN stuff for me :D. BGN can be a gamble, my wife got me a Nikon FE, 55 Micro, and 50/1.4 all rated BGN. The FE and Micro are in great condition, I would have thought they were EXC if I didn't know better. The 50/1.4 must be the low end of BGN. Optically and mechanically its great but the rubber focus ring has separated from the body in some places and looks to be tacked back in place with super glue and the body has some scratches (the glass is fine). I don't mind some battle scars but it sounds like you would be better off with EXC.

Adam

9. vlasta

vlasta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok gentlemans, I'll avoid BGN bodies gamble.
    That leaves me with 6x7 with TTL prism.

... and one more question - is 67 II worth that extra extra money?

10. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Vlasto, expect a body with 30 years of mileage, even more... personally I wouldn't know what to expect from a 30 year old camera.
    I also pretty much considered purchasing a P67 but after talking to few folks from around here I definitely quit the idea of purchasing a copy of older version.

I have a guy here in Belgrade with both versions, P67 and P67II, both of them need occasional repairs, mostly because of the film winding mechanism problems. Hopefully the folks from APUG meridians can change those stats for better.

11. declark

declark Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just to throw a wrench in the works, I purchased from KEH a bargain Pentax 645 that wasn't real pretty but was a workhorse then I bought an Exc Pentax 645N body that had a mirror / shutter issue, it was returned promptly without much hassle.

12. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From your original post, I would recommend not buying bargain grade. I buy a lot of bargain grade stuff from KEH, and I am fine with the brassing and small dings/dents. I have never gotten anything worse than that, so I would not expect any large dents, for example. Since you say you don't like brassing, I would stay away from bargain at KEH, because brassing is a distinct possibility, even a likelihood.

If you were in the US, it might make sense to take a chance on one, as you can always return it, but it looks like you are in Europe, in which case the return shipping would present a real issue. They will probably get an EX 67 body in pretty soon, if you can wait. They are always getting stuff in.

13. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just looked at KEH, they have all the parts available separately, so you can get the same outfit in EX condition. I have checked in the past and the prices for the individual items added together were the same as the price for a package with no discount involved. I am guessing they are just not listing the items as packages to try to sell more bargain grade equipment, perhaps they have a lot of the stuff in that condition.

Of course EX will cost a lot more.

14. vlasta

vlasta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Paul.
    Magic word is patience!
    Also I will consider buying in parts.

15. Casey Kidwell

Casey Kidwell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does KEH do a film test on cameras? I'm asking because, as I stated earlier, film advance problems seem to plague these cameras and it's not "if" but "when". It starts as irregular exposure spacing and ends in overlapped exposures. If they don't run film through the camera I would be tempted to buy one through Da' Bay from someone who knows the history of the camera and has good feedback. I've used my 67's for about 13 years and that's been the only problem I've had. The shutter and the rest of the camera is pretty much bullet-proof.

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always wondered what KEH's response would be if you wanted their repair department to do a CLA and check on equipment before they sent it to you.