Pentax 67 Shutter Question

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by brian steinberger, Dec 5, 2007.

1. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I just received a used Pentax 67 body that I purchased off ebay. You're supposed to be able to fire the body without film in it. I downloaded the manual off the internet and tried firing the shutter with the back door open and the film advance would not advance and the shutter would not fire. I started to worry. But then I loaded up a roll of film and the MLU worked, and the shutter fired.

Should I be worried that the camera will not fire without film like it's supposed to? Or am I doing something wrong trying to do so?

2. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    NO.....not to worry! Firing the shutter without film requires a little metal 'key' that you can absolutely live without. I lost the one that came with my P67, and recently bought one from a pugger here on line. However, I'm not even sure why I did, since I've never bothered to use the thing (although I like having it in case I ever do need it.)

3. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Everybody at the Camera Store where I bought mine snickered when they saw Pentax's description of it: Cock Key. I think something got lost in the translation.

4. domaz

domaz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's perfect. Mine on the other hand does fire with the door open, and it doesn't stop winding at the end of a roll. Very annoying to deal with since you never know if your actually done with a roll until you look at the counter.

5. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And I still have my key, but I never could figure how to use it to fire the shutter with the door open. Why would I need to do that, anyway?

6. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably just to check the shutter speeds.....at least to get a guesstimate by ear of their being different from one another. There are instructions on the use of the key in the owner's manual.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2007
  7. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I feel much better! I was just afraid that it wasn't functioning properly. I'm gonna take it out this this weekend and test it out with a roll of HP5 to make sure the shutter speeds are all ok. Thanks everyone!

8. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you look at the top of the winder where the frame number is displayed you will see a little serrated edged button. You can use your thumb to turn that and the frame counter will turn. If you turn it past where it says frame 1 and then hold it there while closing the door, the shutter will fire with the door closed as often as you want till you open the door again. It is a little bit of a PITA but once you figure it out it works pretty easily. If you want to look through the lens you have to do the little maneuver I described and the lock the shutter open in B (by setting the speed in the blank area of the dial) then you can open the door with the shutter open.

9. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    "Cock" used in Japanese is like the "cock" in "cock a gun". The Japanese don't use it to mean a rude person or ..... the other thing :smile: I've snickered at the word myself over here, no one gets it.

10. MartinB

MartinB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They will laugh at anything! What's funny about a male chicken key :wink: