Pentax 6x7 + 105/2.4 - OR - COntax 645 + 80/2 - what would be your choice ?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Matus Kalisky, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Matus Kalisky

Matus Kalisky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, to be honest - I am not about to buy any of these (my wife still recalls the price of the Mamiya 6 .. ), but I have seen some excellent portrait, still life, close-up and documentary work where thin DOF helped to isolate the subject. At the same time medium format delivers smoothness and tones.

So - I am asking - for the photography mentioned above - what medium format SLR with fast lenses would you choose for such photography? Contax 645 + 80/2.0, Pentax 6x7 + 105/2.4, Mamiya 645 + 80/1.9 or something else? For get the price differences.

O know one could take Crown Graphic with Aero Ektar, but let just put that one aside.

I am a happy user of Mamiya 6, but it does has its limitations. And sometimes I would like to try a different approach.

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can swing it, I'd go for the Contax. If not, the Mamiya. I like the P67 too, and I love the Pentax lenses (that one in particular), but it is quite a lot bigger, and not as versatile, IMHO.

3. white.elephant

white.elephant Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Contax for me as well.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mamiya RZ67 with the 110mm f/2.8 lens :smile:

Best of the bunch for close-up work.

5. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a 645 1000s with 80/1.9, and RZ with 110/2.8, and I'll second this.

Besides the close-up advantage, if you want a little puff of fill flash, you won't be using any of the fast 645 lenses or (especially) the Pentax. In addition, the magnification advantage of the RZ means the 1.9-2.8 jump isn't as big as it looks.