Pentax 6x7: is 90mm standard or 105mm???

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by game, Nov 22, 2005.

1. game

game Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi.
    I am on the verge of buying a pentax 67. Only I can't figure out iif the 90mm is standard or the 105mm. Can someone clear that up for me.
    Both lensen seem to apear a lot.

Thanks. Game :smile:

2. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Buy the less expensive one. As a long time user with the 105 I can attest to its excellence. But, if the 90mm were available and affordable I'd have chosen it instead.

3. blansky

blansky Subscriber

The 80 is standard on 6x6 so I would guess that the 90 is standard on 6x7.

If they are the same f stop, It probably doesn't matter which one you buy. I doubt that you'd see too much difference coverage wise.

Michael

4. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as what is 'considered' standard, based on film size, it would be the 90mm, the 105 was an option that was chose on several of these cameras when purchased new, the difference is very close to what Minolta offered several years ago, when they were including a 45mm as standard and the rest of the industry was doing 50mm, as far as quality and field of view, the noticable difference in real world shooting is really not going to be that noticable, the 90 and the 105 are both very good quality shooters and you should be happy with either of them, as was said, use it to your advantage and buy the least expensive of them.

Dave

5. Dorothy Blum Cooper

Dorothy Blum Cooper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my 6x7, I have the 105. That's what it came with. I'd say that's the standard as it equates to about a 52mm on a 35mm camera.

I purchased the 200mm lens (for my 6x7) about two years ago since I do more 'in your face' shots and use it more as my primary lens of the two.

6. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dorothy,

Actually the 6x7 Pentax was available as a new purchase with either one of the lenses, so it is difficult to say which one is normal based on how they were equipped from the factory.

Dave

7. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Original purchasers that bought an "outfit" or "kit" that included a lens and perhaps the metering prism got a 105mm. That was the standard lens from pentax and it's excellent. Great cameras BTW. I just finally sold my outfit. I had a 45mm 90mm 165mm and 300mm. Great range. But all I was using it for was photographing the grandbabies and ultimately it was replaced with a $65 Minolta Autocord that works as well or better for that task and is like a feather around my neck.

8. Imke

Imke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Aaaah, but Jim, who needs a feather when you can have a tank??? :D

Game, congrats on your (almost) purchase, and welcome to the club!
    Oh, and get a wide-angle instead. :wink:

Imke
    (avid Pentax 6x7 user and very much in love with her camera)

9. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Imke,

Was it you that called today? if so, sorry I was not here to take the call.

Dave

10. Imke

Imke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Dave,
    yup, and no prob, it's all taken care of.
    Cheers!

11. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A standard lens is one with much the same length as the film diagonal, in which case 90mm is standard for 6 x 7. However, the traditional 50mm standard for 35mm film is actually a bit long. The real standard would be 43mm, so 90mm on 6 x 7 will seem a bit wide angle by comparison and it takes a 105mm to give a similar field of view. In other words, you pays your money and takes your choice. I use a 90mm, but that was just my choice.

David.

12. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Equivalents in 35mm are roughly 45mm & 52mm, so they are both considered standard. The Pentax site doesn't list the 90mm lens, so maybe it's no longer produced.

I just bought a Pentax 67II: got the body 2nd hand from Charlotte camera (at a very good price), the lens as a demo (new) from Adorama, at a very good price, and the AEII prism from B&H (I was impatient) at their normal price. Overall, saved $900 over new price for the kit.

I really like this camera. Fits in my hands, and everything works intuitively for me. It was this or a Fuji rangefinder, and I thought I'd be better off getting a camera that is still in production.

Now to start assembling a few choice lenses!

I think you'll be happy with your decision, whichever normal lens you pick.

Charlie