Pentax 6x7 mirror lock up issue

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Mayfair710, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Mayfair710

Mayfair710 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    last week while using my pentax 67, i set the MLU and the mirror stuck in the up position. i pushed the reset button and it came down but the battery was dead. today, after replacing the battery, i shot 5 frames and the same thing happened. this time however, the reset button did not work. i unloaded the film in the darkroom and now i am stuck as to what to do. the exposure counter is stuck at 5 and the 2 procedures in manual to release the shutter without film in the camera are not working. any suggestions?

2. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Battery

Is the new battery still good? Might try another battery.

3. Guillaume Zuili

Guillaume Zuili Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try another trick.
    Remove lens / push reset button / Put back the lens

4. Mayfair710

Mayfair710 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the battery was new on thursday but, i will try another one tomorrow..and guillaume, good trick but it failed too. :sad: i SOOO wanna stick something in there and make the mirror come down but i won't do that..
    thanks for the suggestions guys.

5. PaulMD

PaulMD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nothing you poke at inside will help. The mirror solenoid is battery-powered in the 6x7, so if you've taken the battery out/lens off and poked the release button it's mechanically jammed somehow. Time to let a professional take a shot at fixing it.

6. Mayfair710

Mayfair710 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks paul! i am sure you are right. i found the number for pentax and will call tomorrow, hoping they still repair old film cameras. and yes, i won't poke anything..

7. PaulMD

PaulMD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pentax won't work on them anymore (almost certainly). Look up Eric Hendrickson, www.pentaxs.com He does good work cheap, with a tolerable turnaround (not overnight, but within a week or two).

8. Mayfair710

Mayfair710 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks again for your help paul. i have looked up his website and emailed him. if the new battery doesn't help tomorrow i will most certainly be seeking his expert assistance.
    ~~marianne

9. Mayfair710

Mayfair710 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    new battery today and it is still not working. i heard from pentax and yes, they will still work on it...on a "case by case basis" and will, after looking at it, send a quote for repair etc...i also contacted eric hendrickson and he agreed that it is probably the solenoid and he can fix it, no problem..i think i will choose him as last time i sent it away to pentax it took FOREVER!