Pentax 6x7 Repair

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MikeK, Nov 20, 2006.

1. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Working in the studio last Saturday with my strobe set, I removed the sync cord from my Pentax 6x7 to put on my 5x7 and the plug would not fit the sync socket - strange - on closer look the whole of the x-sync socket came out of the pentax arrgh. So no more X-sync for me until I can get it repaired - so the question - anyone know the best place for repair in the SF Bay area?

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Mike,

I don't know of anyone in the Bay area that I would trust to fix my Pentax. I would try either CPS in Sacramento or send it directly to Pentax.

William

3. don sigl

don sigl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depending on the age of your pentax, will determine if Pentax will fix it. I have three bodies and several lenses. Two of the bodies are considerably older.... Pentax will no longer work on them. I'm not sure what their reasoning is. Its getting much more difficult to find good repair shops. I use a local place, but the repairs are limited. I once had a metal buckle on a lens strap hook under the shutter dial and pry it off like a bottle cap. It took awhile to find the parts to get that fixed.

4. max_ebb

max_ebb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have recently talked to the Pentax service/repair dept. I wanted a quote for the conversion to allow the shutter to be re-cocked without advancing the film (multi exposure enable). They said it would be over $200 plus shipping both ways, so I passed. Instead, I got a 90mm LS lens that allows me to do multi exposure, and allows flash sync at any shutter speed.

At any rate, from my understanding, if it doesn't have MLU, they won't service it, and if it has MLU, it's the same as a 67 (even if it says 6x7 on the front), and they will service it.

I wouldn't spend too much to have a 67 body serviced though. You can get one (with MLU) from KEH for $200-$250. You can also get an older 6x7 w/o MLU for less than $150.

5. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I always sent mine to Pentax in Colorado. The werent cheap, but they did a great job.

6. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a non MLU 6x7 and when it needed service (new shutter) I found out that the parts were no longer available, so that's why Pentax won't work on them anymore - no parts.