Pentax ESII

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any users?
    May I have our opinion of this camera.

Thanks

2. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to have an ES. Its very much like a electronic Spotmatic, with aperture priority mode. The metering doesn't work on manual mode (if I remember correctly), and the manual speeds are a bit limited (1/60-1/1000). It may also be difficult to repair if some electronic components fail. Other than that, its a nice camera!

Trond

3. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Slightly akward to use because it doesn't have exposure lock and manual metering.

Also, like the Spotmatic F & ES, some (mainly East-) German screw mount lenses won't fit.

Apart from those limits, it has the handling and good qualities of the classic Spotmatics.

4. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had one, but traded it in for a Chinon CE 3 in the 80s. The Chinon has full range of shutter speeds, works in both auto and manual modes, and has a winder, (not very fast) while only a few of the ES bodies took the drive.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always wanted one, I bought a Spotmatic F instead back in 1975 as that was as much as I could afford at the time. I'd still like an ESII.

Ian

6. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Pentax I wish I could have had from new! I've got an ESII that I've used extensively. It may not have exposure lock, as has been mentioned, but it does have exposure compensation (don't forget to put it back to 1x, though!) Though I'm cynical of pretty much anything that professes to be automatic, I've always been very impressed by the ESII's abilities under a variety of lighting conditions. I like the fact that the 60th to 1000th speeds are independent of battery power - not a full range but enough to get you out of a hole if the worst should happen. I also like the extra position on the shutter speed dial for the viewfinder blinds, which I use a lot for tripod shots. I also have the earlier ES which lacks the blinds, D/A, shutter lock and indications of speeds to 8 secs even though it does them. Clever electronics/electromagnetic shutter release also means that it's not a battery gobbler as many early auto SLRs were. Go for it!

Steve

7. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The owner is dropping in for coffee this afternoon.The ESII and 3 lenses for $50.00.If the kit works well I'll snap it up.
    Thanks all.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a real bargain

Ian

9. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have used the ES for years - fantastic camera with the SMC lenses. Very fast, responsive and accurate metering. Mine has been a very reliable camera also.

10. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it works you are getting a steal. Good luck.

11. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm

No Mike - I really think you're making a BIG mistake. To save you from making a bad move send the owner around to my place and I'll save you the hassle of owning such a terrible camera!!!

Steve :wink: