Pentax *ist?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Robert, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Robert

Robert Member

http://www.pentaxusa.com/news/news_display...cfm?pressid=149

What do you all think? Allegedly list price will be close to $300 so it's relatively cheap. It's not too heavy a plus when you're carrying the worlds heaviest 4x5. I've got lens that fit it so that's a plus.

I just want something to carry and maybe help decide on what to use the LF on.

2. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Still looks kind of big. What about an old Rollei35s or Minox 35mm ? I have a Minox, but haven't gotten around to getting battery adapter for it. You can fit them in your pocket and they have great optics.

3. bmac

bmac Member

Looks good, I'm a big fan of Pentax (still use my K1000) it would be a good choice for a second cam and a LF meter.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looks like it has lots of modern features and versatility in a compact and very lightweight package, as far as AF SLRs go.

If you've already got Pentax lenses that fit, it looks like a good deal.

5. Robert

Robert Member

Sean it's smaller then my old spotmatic-)) I'm not sure you can get much smaller and still fit the film in the body. Hopefully it's out this month then I'll wait to find out if it comes with any gotchas.

It sounds almost too good for the price. Makes me wonder what they skimped on.

6. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

What is *ist?
    Is "*ist" a text friendly a way of expressing an obscenity, like sh*t or f*rt?
    Why not call it the new "Pentax #*!@&"?
    How the heck do you pronounce it?
    Should I refer to it as "The camera formerly known as Spotmatic"?
    I'm freaking out here.

7. bmac

bmac Member

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flotsam @ Mar 6 2003, 09:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> What is *ist?
    Is "*ist" a text friendly a way of expressing an obscenity, like sh*t or f*rt? </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    That is totally what I thought when I first read the thread. [​IMG]

8. Robert

Robert Member

Rumour has it you're supposed to use whatever fits for you. So if you're a little *ist then that's what it is-))))

9. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow!

Now all I need is the Pentax Aesthetic Module - I hear this selects the image from a library of styles, composes the image according to infallible Composition Rules and with the optional Robot Cradle - goes out and FINDS the site, waits for the proper time (or sets the studio lighting) and trips the shutter precisely at the "Decisive Moment".

Then, all I will have to do is sit in the shade of a banana tree, sipping a mint julep - while this assembly scurries around making fine art for me.

Does this sound sarcastic? Possibly a little bit?

10. Robert

Robert Member

I think it has that-)) One of the models has a motion sensor to trigger the shutter.

11. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

12. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

This is actually a very helpful thread.
    About twice a year, some casual acquaintance, or relative of a casual acquaintance, because of my local reputation of being that guy who is a "real Shutterbug" and who knows all about cameras and stuff, will ask me which camera they should buy. Since no camera that I personally own would be of any use to them at all and I have utterly no knowledge or interest in the latest glut of auto-everything, gimmick-laden, electronic marvels, I inevitably leave them disappointed and wondering how someone of such obvious total ignorance has managed to fool anyone into thinking that he knows anything about Photography at all.

Now that I know of one, I will say with great authority that the *ist (if I can manage to learn how to pronounce it), is definitely the singular choice for picture taking and thereby protect my gleaming reputation as a Photographer.

Neal

13. Robert

Robert Member

Wait until they ship it this month. It may have some gotchas still-(( OTOH a brand new camera that can use any lens sold by pentax for 25+ years is interesting.