Pentax k1000?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by readysetgo, May 8, 2012.

1. readysetgo

readysetgo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok, i was set on getting the Nikon fe2...
    But, i just found a Pentax k1000 for a really good price plus it comes with a lens.
    Can people please share their opinions on this camera? in particular how it would be for a beginner?
    I've looked it up in flickr groups and it seems like good quality, i have downloaded the manual from some random site and read the specs on wikipedia.
    I'm a little confused when i read the manual it doesn't mention the aperture in basic set up but wikipedia says the camera is completly manual (scary!!).
    Well any thoughts?
    From Casey.

2. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a great beginner camera. Good and solid. There is a meter in the camera, but you have to adjust the aperture and shutter speed manually until the needle goes to the middle, a great way to learn the relationship between the two. The k1000 also fires at all speed without batteries, it has a mechanical shutter. I say get the k1000 if you are beginner, you will love it.

(By that I don't mean the FE2 is a bad camera, i shoot FE most of the time, but that's because I am lazy)

3. readysetgo

readysetgo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry i need to add another question hope thats ok,
    What flash can it use? are they still sold? or do i have to find it 2nd hand.

4. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's considered by many to be a perfect beginner's camera, though it lacks a depth-of-field preview, a self-timer and a meter switch (the meter is always on, so you should always use a lens cap - I prefer hoods...).
    Other Pentax models, such as the Kx, K2, etc. are arguably better and possibly cheaper too (less hype).

Basically any non-TTL flash will work. That is, any flash which will work in "Manual" or (non-TTL) "Auto" mode.

5. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Pentax K1000 was the recommended camera by many colleges for their photography courses.
    A suggestion: get a photography manual from some 20 or 30 years ago. It is a good reading!

If you are referring to the lens aperture or maximum F-stop, the manual wouldn't know what lens you have! All modern SLR have interchangeable lens: you can take it off and put a different one.
    I'm guessing the sample you saw would have a Pentax 50MM, probably the F2.0 or the F1.8. It is rare to see a K1000 with the F1.4.
    BTW, the smaller the number, the larger aperture it will have.

There's no better way for a beginner: one camera and one lens. If you like the K1000, then go for it: it is a fantastic camera.

For your flash question, yes, they are still made, but it is cheaper and easier to find a second hand one. There's literally thousands of models that would fit.

6. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you get it at a good price, it's fine. I have one - given to me for free in immaculate, like new condition. In that case, it was a good deal. :smile:

But that said, I don't understand the appeal of this camera. I also have a Pentax MX for which I paid $79 in supposed BGN condition (it looks nearly flawless and works flawlessly) from KEH. The MX is a great camera and far superior in every way. Smaller, lighter, far better built, interchangeable focusing screens, big bright viewfinder (the K1000 isn't bad, but the MX is better) with depth of field preview, yet it sells used for more money. Right now KEH shows a BGN MX (chrome - the black ones are a lot more money, even though the chrome is also more durable - if you're concerned with best bang for the buck, go chrome) listed for $60, and BGN K-1000s for $105 and $109.

Now if I could get the K1000 for, say, $35 versus $70 for the MX, they'd be priced about like their relative merits in my view. Or, in my case, free - as an old friend used to say, "you don't bitch about free."

So it really comes down in my view to just how inexpensively you can get it.

7. readysetgo

readysetgo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey, so would my canon 430exII set to manual work? ( i use that with my digital camera).
    if not the yongnuo sold on ebay is affordable maybe that?

Assuming it's still there, i will be buying as soon as i sort the flash out...so excited!

8. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm

9. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The K1000 is probably the quintessential student photography camera. No DOF preview, set the aperture and release the lens.

You need a self timer, you can add one.

[​IMG]

The brown leather K1000 SE is a looker but it's all good . . . ;-)

[​IMG]

10. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nikon FE VS Pentax K1000

It all comes down to what you are going to use it for, both cameras have great range of lenses avalible, the k1000 has less features
    than the FE, the k1000 will work with out a battery and is very strong you can drop it get a dent and keep shooting. The nikon FE will take a motor drive
    and there are focus screen options, has a basic Auto mode, it is also very solid also and is very reliable, but it needs battery's to work.

I would buy the FE unless you are planing going to a harsh enviroment then the K1000 is the one I would buy.

A Nikkormat FT-2 might be another option, you get a timer, mirror lock and preview and it is a tough as a K1000, a pentax K2 or Kx would also be a option.

Johnkpap

11. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any camera 20+ years is going to need service. Without exception. Price $75 additional for that.

There is a recently serviced K2, for sale on this site. Looks like a good deal to me.

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you can use any flash with it. it has a hot shoe
    but you don't need to use the flash on the camera ... there is a pc plug on the body
    to plug the flash into the camera and use it off-body ... or you can get a
    cold shoe handle or strobo / bacharach frame or anything else ...

for your first roll, take 3 exposures of every view .. one with the meter inside straight across
    one with the aperture 2 clicks ( 1 full stop ) overexposed ( + ), and one with it 2 clicks under exposed ( - )
    to see how you want to read your meter. i always expose 1 stop or 1/2 stop over exposed with my k1000.

great camera, have fun !
    john

13. pstake

pstake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the K1000 is THE beginners camera, IMHO. You also have many great lenses to choose from, which use the k-mount.

You might also consider a Pentax screw mount camera, The Spotmatics are great cameras, tanks, very well built ... and the later ones have brighter viewfinders. The earlier ones are still very useable.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got my first lesson in photography when I was 10 years old, 30-something years ago, when my dad handed me a K-1000 and said, "If you break this camera, I'll break you!... Now get out of here and don't come back until you finish that roll of film."

Several years later, in high school, my first formal photography teacher had six K-1000s in the cabinet. Once you passed your first test (shooting and printing three pictures with a pinhole camera made from a Quaker oatmeal box) you were allowed to sign out a K-1000. That camera was your hall pass which allowed you to walk around the school to shoot pictures in order to complete your assignments.

When we graduated high school, my brother and I both got Pentax cameras as part of our graduation presents. I still have both of those cameras.

I'm sure a Pentax K-1000 will do just as well for you.

16. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The K 1000 is just a updated Spotmatic F with the k lens mount, a good camera, easy to use and well made, but overpriced, has
    become somewhat of cult camera. I have Spotmatics and a K 1000 and like the Spotmatic better as I can stop down the aperture for depth of feild. I dont recalling using the K 1000 in years. But all said if you can get one a good price go for it.

17. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both cameras and either will be fine. One thing to consider is that used K-mount lenses tend to be a little less than used Nikon glass. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

18. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used both cameras and either one can be a great camera for you. Both companies produced strong and reliable cameras, especially back in the days of the metal, manual film era.

My preference is certainly for the Pentax K1000. I have been using one since 1984 and it has never let me down. I have no earthly idea how many rolls of film I have put through that camera but it just continues to work. Over the years I have purchased other Pentax cameras and lots more Pentax lenses and I have never regretted my decision. I am not sure I am really a terrific photographer, but that old K1000 certainly taught me a lot about taking pictures.

But, Nikon is also a wonderful brand and produces strong, reliable cameras. Nikon equipment (cameras, lenses, accessories) tend to cost a little more money than Pentax equipment but you will not regret it if you purchase either brand.

19. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "THE beginner's camera" only because, when new, it was inexpensive, much less so than some of the other options here, and thus became required or recommended for many photography classes and got a bit of a cult following.

Again, nothing wrong with it but it depends on the deal. If it's cheap, go for it. If you have to pay used camera dealer prices an MX or KX (depending on whether you prefer a smaller or larger camera) in comparable condition is a better camera at a usually lower price. At least the chrome MX is. The black is a lot more money for a less durable finish and a bit of unfair comparison because the K1000 wasn't made in black anyway. Granted I've really fallen for my MX (don't tell the LX, I think she gets jealous.)

Or if you prefer an auto mode look at the K2 in the for sale section here.

Nothing at all wrong with an FE either of course. In spite of the fact I have four K-mount bodies I'm often tempted to get a couple of Nikons too; there's just so much great glass out there.

20. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do like my little K1000, especially with a SMC 50mm, but I find the meters less then robust and would probably suggest another Pentax model or a Nikon.

21. micwag2

micwag2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have several K1000's with a good selection of lenses to play with and they never disappoint me. If all you need or want is a full manual camera, this is it. Very durable and dependable. I would recommend as with any old camera, check the light seals around the film door and the mirror bumper.
    Don't let all the responses and opinions overwhelm you. Most folks have their own likes and dislikes and you will have yours. Chose by price or by the features it has. It's really up to you. Any K mount lens should work on it. You'll have plenty to chose from. I say go for it.

22. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another to consider would be the Yashica FX series, especiallt the FX-3 series. It uses the Y/C mount anf hence can mount te Yashica lenes that are very god to near excellent and the Zeiss Contax lenese that are some of the best out there. The FX-3 and Yashica lenses borrowed Zeiss and the Contax technology and put out a system that is one of the better and imho is better than the K-1000 body and better than the Pentax lenses though the Pextax, depending o version are no slouches. I have a FX-3 ststem and Ashai S1a system that predates the Spotmatc. The viewfinder in the S1a is one of the best I've ever looked through and though it does not have a built ib meter, I like it better. As a beginner, I recommend learnong to use a handheld meter ast will really teach metering and light evaluaion better than an in-camera metter.

The Spotmatic and earler Asahi camera used thed M42 mount that can be adapted to the K mount and many of these lenses are considered to bed the best at the time and even today are cobsidered ight up there so, somethings to consider,

23. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The quality of your photographs will not be limited by your camera.

24. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The K1000 is the Volkswagen Beetle of the 35mm SLR world! A classic in its own sense with a large cult following. :smile: My first SLR was a K1000. While it didn't seem tough to me at the time, I was surprised at how much of a beating it took! I once left it on the roof of my car and drove off. It fell and bounced on the asphalt road resulting in only a scratch!

I will admit that I always wanted an MX or an ME Super, but the K1000 was the only camera I could afford at the time. I later moved to Nikon and have been collecting and using different SLR's ever since (mostly Nikon though).

I would suggest going with an FM2. There is more growth potential with an FM2 as you can add a motor drive and it has a depth of field lever (not to mention faster top shutter speed as well as much faster flash synch). I find that both cameras are equally tough and both operate in full manual without the need for batteries (except to power the meter in both cases).

If you can swing it, I would also consider an F with FTN Photomic Metered Prism; my favorite camera of all time (second place going to the F3HP). The F is a true tank of a camera and has the same shutter speeds of a K1000. There is something special about shooting with an F that simply can't be described! :smile:

25. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah. It is known to most as a back ache! :smile::smile:

Just kidding of course (I think.) The F is a true classic and everyone should try one on for size at least once.

26. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just so. But now you can get a comparable MX for less than a K1000, and have that DOF preview, option of motor drive etc.

Nothing wrong with an FM2 either. Fine camera.

I think it's mostly the lack of DOF preview on the K1000 that bothers me, something I'd always miss and do when I shoot with mine.