Pentax mf lens prices.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by waynecrider, Jan 9, 2007.

1. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When looking at KEH for a short to medium lens for my freebie K1000 body I see that prices are dam near as much as a AF lens for my primary carry Nikon. I really can't see spending so much on a lens for this body that I would like to occasionally carry with. Since I'm not covered in 24mm I checked and found I could find a better deal on a Nikon AF 2.8 and it's a hell of a lens. What justifies such high Pentax prices? Available quanities?

2. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a lot of M42 and a few K mount Pentex, I had a long history with Nikon, F, F2 and F3, the Pentex's, from my point of view, are just as sharp and as well make any Nikon lens that I have ever owned. But as you mentioned, not sold in as large numbers as Nikon or for that matter Cannon.

What the market will bear.

3. Jerry Thirsty

Jerry Thirsty Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Easy answer: Digital

Since you can actually use all the old Pentax lenses on the digital SLRs relatively easily, prices have been gradually going up over about the past 2 or 3 years. Some of the most desired lenses actually sell for more now than they did new. It doesn't help that Pentax dropped a lot of the focal lengths they used to make, so people have to go to the used market to find them. The 50/1.4, 35/2, and 28/2.8 still show up at B&H from time to time, but generally sell out within a few hours of being posted. The Limited lenses are nice, but I would be willing to trade in some of the build quality for something like the basic Nikkor-D line; e.g. a 85/1.8 or 24/2.8 for $300-400USD. Not everyone wants small (dim) pancake lenses, but I guess that's where Pentax figures they can carve out a niche.

4. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format