Pentax MX update

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well my friend Colleen got the MX. It is a well used but not abused camera. Thanks for the heads up Jerry Thisty (re:electronics). Although the hot shoe is dead the PC plug works and the meter doesn't activate when the shutter is locked.
    Armed with this information I was able to get a good deal. The MX ,a 50mm 1.2 Pentax lens,power winder and a fully functional Ricoh KR-5. All for $80.00.Sweet.

Colleen is now looking for a medium zoom lens.I gave her an old 135mm but she likes the midrange glass. Something like a 35-80mm. Suggestions?

Thanks All for your replies
    Mike

2. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a SMC Pentax-M 35-70. It's a dog. A heavy one too.

3. floydking

floydking Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A Tamron 35-70mm BBAR Macro is a decent and cheaper option. The one I have has served me well for many years.

4. AgCl4ever

AgCl4ever Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Zooms have advantages, but there ain't no free lunch. They are heavy, slow, and almost always underperform a prime. She might consider the Pentax 85mm 1.8 M (or K) lens, it is a great performer, fast, light compared to a zoom, and works really well with the small MX.

Ken

5. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an SMC pentax 40-80 F2.8 for my MX and it works quite well despite a small amount of peripheral fungus. Was thinking of listing on ebay as most of my 35mm kit is nikon. You could have it for postage cost if you're interested.

Glenn