Pentax SFX/SF-1?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by mcgrattan, Apr 14, 2007.

1. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just bought one of these. It arrived this morning.

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/SF/SF.html

I bought it (and some 3rd party KA/KAF2 mount zooms) as an autofocus body to go with my existing P50 and the couple of Pentax K-mount lenses I already own.

I was pretty shocked by how huge it is in comparison to the P50 -- it's a monster. On paper it doesn't look to measure that much larger than the P50 but in the flesh, it's much bigger.

Anyway, anyone used one of these?

2. Bryce Parker

Bryce Parker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My older brother bought one when they were new, and still has it. That is about all I know, though. I think I used it a couple of times but was a little stubborn- I just remember not being able to wait to get my K1000 back... I still use Pentax gear for 35mm, but it is all older than this.

3. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I posted because I was a little surprised at the relative bulk of the camera. It's noisy too -- the motor-wind is quite a bit louder that the similar vintage EOS body (650) I have.

Saying that, it's quite full-featured and seems easy enough to use.

4. Derek Lofgreen

Derek Lofgreen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a PZ-10 that uses the same body style etc. I like it because it's a bit bigger my hands have a hard time with small cameras. The motor is pretty noisy like you said but I have taken many great shots with it. I mostly shoot with the *ist 35mm now, it's super quiet for an SLR.

D.

5. Jojje

Jojje Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought an used SFX1n cheaply a couple of years ago, it even had the optional AA battery grip. It is very good to hold IMO. Exposures spot-on. It has served me well until recently, a couple of times it has started to rewind the film in mid-roll. I suspect sloppiness by myself while putting the film in: don't push the leader too far.
    I don't think it's big concerning its properties and weight only adds stability.
    Negative? It looks too modern to me.

6. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got the first roll back from it at the weekend. The results seem good -- exposures generally OK.

I quite enjoyed shooting with it too and it does seem to fit OK in my hands although I do wish the motor drive was a bit quieter. In the context of a quiet walk in the country, it was a little loud.

7. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This was an early autofocus Pentax. The later ones (ZP & MZ) are thought to have a bit faster autofocus and the MZ series is a lot smaller.