Perseid Meteor Shower

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by stewmander, Aug 11, 2010.

1. stewmander

stewmander Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No photography planned. Just hoping for a lessening of the pervasive haze so we will at least be able to enjoy watching it.

3. jcarnes

jcarnes Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for reminding me!! I think I'll just go out and look with my binoculars.

4. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No pix planned. I am just hoping it clears up. I have a nice spot that I usually use to view it.

Binoculars are of little use during a meteor shower, unless you happen to know where the next one will fall! You want a spot away from as much artificial light as possible, and that gives you a wide a view of the sky.

5. stewmander

stewmander Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah, I live in Ventura, and there are a few places you can get to without much surrounding light. I had read that there is a spot up at Mt. Pinos that people go for star gazing...

6. ricardo12458

ricardo12458 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Might do some shooting tonight. Using 400TX black&white film for this (if I see anything; I live in Dallas). I'm shooting straight from my camera since I don't have any attachments for my telescope.

7. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1 day to full Moon (in Capricorn), imho, no matter your altitude and optics, it will be relatively hard to come close to a decent view... :smile:
    Last year, the Moon was almost completely empty - very thin, waxing crescent.. around the time for the Perseids, but now..

8. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Frikkin full moon.

9. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shot it once years ago. Got film back that looked like it had scratches across the negs. Whoppee. I have trouble being creative for this kind of thing. I guess a long-time shot with a cool foreground or cityscape might work.....hoping the notorious SF bay fog and low clouds this time of year will lift and allow maybe some view of some sort....

10. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where's the radiant relative to the moon? I guess one possibility would be to point away from the moon, expose for a moonlit landscape (loony f/4, I've seen suggested: f/4 and expose for 1/ASA days), and hope for some interesting trails. I might give it a go.

-NT

11. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you do a long exposure of a starry sky and move the camera the right way during exposure you get lots of shooting stars :wink:

Do it right and the moon might look like a comet even.

12. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The kid and I will probably drive up to the top of the mountain with her telescope to watch. They are having some special sky watch this weekend at Cherry Springs State Park a couple of hours from here. It's perported to be the darkest place in Pa. and many people camp there for the astronomy program.

13. Kokoro

Kokoro Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    [​IMG]

My attempt from this year. There are a few meteors in there but I couldn't turn the camera more towards where they were coming from because of the city lights. There was some light passing cloud too.