Petersen's Guide to Photo Equipment You Can Make

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by freespirit67, Jun 24, 2007.

1. freespirit67

freespirit67 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is a long shot, but I've heard the above book has a guide to building a vacuum easel for contact printing, I'm about to embark on a journey into Platinum printing, and would like to build one of these.
    I was wondering if anyone had a copy they wouldn't mind photocopying or scanning the pages of for me? Just this particular article. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for your time, hope you can help.

2. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent.

3. freespirit67

freespirit67 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Peter,

I don't seem to have a PM from you? Do I need to be a subscriber in order to have this option? Sorry :rolleyes:

4. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't know what happened. I sent one. If you pm me your address, I can help you out.

5. z-man

z-man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YOU BUILD IT VACUUM BACK

1: GET CANISTER VACUUM WITH HOSE AND NOSLE

2: PEGBOARD AND MATERAL TO BUILD SHALLOW BOX WITH PEGBOARD AS TOP-IT WILL NEED TO BE BRACED INSIDE ESP TOP

3: CONNECT CANISTER HOSE TO BOX

4: PLACE MATERIALS ON TOP STARTING WITH SMALLEST FIRST-YOU WILL NEED STRIPS OF WHATEVER TO BLOCK OFF REST OF PEGBOARD-BETTER TO USE LAYER OF ACETATE OR MYLAR SAME SIZE AS TOP OVER THE NEG/POS/PAPER/WHATEVER-TURN ON VACUUM

5: YOU GOT HOMBREW VER OF PROCESS CAMERA BACK AS MANUFACTURED AND USED FOR LAST 75 YEARS OR MORE

FYI: GLASS BOCKS UV SO DON'T USE GLASS FOR ALT PROCESS

A GLASS TOP VACUUM FRAME IS OF NO ADVANTAGE OVER SPRING BACK FRAME OR GLASS LAYING ON TOP BY GRAVITY UNLESS YOU LET VACUUM PULL DOWN FOR AT LEAST 15 MINS-AND THATS WITH NEW HOSE, NEW PUMP, CLEAN FILTERS-EVEN THEN STILL NO IMPROVEMENT UNLESS YOU PIN REGISTER WITH PLATEMAKERS PINS AND YOU HAVE STRIPPED EVERYTHING INTO FLATS-GOLDENROD PAPER OR MYLAR MORE BETTER

30+ YRS AS A PHOTMECHANICAL ARTIST, 4/C STRIPPER, PLATEMAKER, PROCESS CAMERA OPERATOR ETC IS A GOOD PLACE TO START IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT WORKS

OTHERWISE ASK A "FINE ART " PHOTOGRAPHER AND WASTE TIME AND MONEY -YOU OF COURSE WILL LEARN FROM THE RESULTING MISTAKES SO IT MIGHT BE WORTH IT TO YOU

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED

6. freespirit67

freespirit67 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's what I miss about New Yorkers, your all so direct! LOL :D

Thanks z-man, great advice, I may well try this out. Thanks again.

7. z-man

z-man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    de nada hermanito(a?)

give me a hollar any time on such issues-before i became dissabled my co-workers would often humble me with by branding me thusly: ' yo lookit this- we got a f****ing ARTIST here-next thing he'll be inviting us to his openings allready'--- so of course i didn't

as a photomechanical artist doing 'work for hire' for 53+ nyc adv agencys on almost every national campaign coming out of nyc in the 80's i had to have a seriously large magic bag so as to keep that $125.00/hr billing going

took a working holiday by moving to boston in the 90's-less presure and work was actually more interesting but the money wasn't so it was homeward bound-and what do i find? no work at all-so it goes

vaya con dios