Petition for new Foma film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by LikeAPolaroid, Jan 31, 2013.

1. LikeAPolaroid

LikeAPolaroid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi there

(Foreword: I asked permissions to moderators before posting)

It all started as a joke, and it still maybe is, and it's really nothing more than a few guys, longtime friends, who have been shooting film since they were in their cribs. Passion for film, darkroom, has never left us. We live and breathe film :smile:

The "petition" was born a few days ago when we were talking about 25 ISO films and how good the Efke was before they dismissed their production due to unrecoverable faults in their equipment.
    So we said "would Foma do a new one?" and we thought if we could tell them there's a few thousands people willing to have it from them, if they'd make them...
    That's how it all started.

So, for those of you who are on Flickr too, check out this group:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/newfoma/

where we are gathering in a sort of petition-style the desire of many people to have Foma produce new films.
    Check it out, join and give a +1 if you agree.

Before you start: yes, we know, many could argue that this is an open-eyes dream, that these things are ineffectual, that we would better be off shooting films rather than writing here, etc. We know all of that. We received already our daily dose of insults - would like not to get more of them here :smile: We know all of that.

Sure - volumes have decreased. It won't be as it was. Companies will need to rationalise their processes to survive. This is what Ilford did with Harman. Kodak did not do that. Foma has been on this market for a century. Efke had old emulsions and equipment and they decided to reinvest in other businesses (they do other things than film photography). Foma is a nice reality, they are producing great films, fantastic papers. They went through a major re-engineering of their Fomapan 200 - sure it still has some issues but they worked on it - they want to stay in this business. Foma coats papers and films for others.

Foma are experienced business people. If they don't want to do something, they won't. Therefore, there is no harm in asking. If nothing else, it will give them an idea of whether there is a market out there for new films. Adding +1 takes no time and may make a difference. It probably won't but it can do no harm.

BTW, for those who are wondering: no, we are not related in any way to Foma. See this as an impromptu marketing analysis. Your +1 is your voice to be heard!

Thanks!
    Stefano, Marcello, Luca, Emanuele, Francesco.

2. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not trying to dissuade you from your efforts but the most common arguments will likely be: Adox already has this CMS20 film in their portfolio, Ilford has PanF+ (even in larger formats if you need image detail), and if you can live with T-grain type film, T-MAX 100 is very fine grained, too.

3. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Count me in! It's not always about the grain, tho'. I shoot a lot of waterfalls in the Adirondacks, Green Mts., etc. and I really need something slow that I can shoot at 1-2 sec @ f/22. Sometimes I need a hight speed film and that's no problem, but it's when I can't get slower, then I'm in trouble. I've been known to shoot APX 25 @EI 16 to get what I want.

I know there is a liimited market for slow films, but I could sure use it.

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Only if they make it in 127 format :smile: that's what I was upset about the efke death. Though at a reasonable price like $3-4 not $10...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

5. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now that Harman have decared that they will not be making an IR fil...maybe we could vote on this, also? :wink:

6. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is my "+1." I understand why others want a slow film but I don't need it and wouldn't buy it. But a true IR film now that Efke is gone, THAT I want!

7. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

8. afrank

afrank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1

9. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Adox CMS 20 is difficult to use at ISO 20 even it's dedicated developer.

10. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Fomapan 25 would be awesome. The real speed would probably be something like ISO 12, which would actually be great for using barrel lenses with no shutter. Count me in for some boxes of 8x10.

11. LikeAPolaroid

LikeAPolaroid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd stay happy if I still can buy Fomapan 400 in the coming 10-15 years!!

13. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I joined and did my +1 for the IR.

I see the reasons for the 25, I just don't personally need it.

I don't see the rationale for the 1600 with Delta 3200 available and so awesome. What's the point behind that one?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. LikeAPolaroid

LikeAPolaroid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Roger. Appreciate your contribution.
    And of course, the contribution of everyone.

The 1600 one was put to stimulate Foma and rethink about their 800. If they see people asking for a 1600, they could think about reissuing the 800 (with no engineering effort involved, maybe).

16. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The weather in the UK tends to be quite dull much of the time, so I personally have no need of 25 ISO films. So I don't think it would be very honest of me to sign a petition asking for something I would never buy. Now, if they were to re-introduce the 800 ISO film, I would be interested, but I wouldn't be buying much. And the lack of sales was, I believe, why they took it off the market even though it was a well thought of film.

17. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    That is a stupid Flickr group. They only allow themselves to post and only allow their own personal choices to be "up for petition".

If anyone posts a comment or a request for a different format or a different film their posts and threads get deleted.

Only a message of "+1" is permitted.

It's quite narrow minded and a huge waste of time.

-Bill

18. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just curious, are you always handheld? I shoot all speeds of film but when I want the characteristics of the slower films I generally use a tripod.

19. Tijmendal

Tijmendal Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Great idea! More film is better! I especially like the idea of a Fomapan 1600 (I guess only in 135 and 120; hopefully bulk too). Delta/Tmax 3200 is too expensive. Gotta love fast film!

20. LikeAPolaroid

LikeAPolaroid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Noone is forcing you to vote. All is requested is to vote respecting the rules. I don't see this as being stupid or narrow minded. Maybe you're just not used to it.

21. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

22. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't thinkit is stupid - i have already voted - but it is a bit of a cumbersome way to run a petition. You have to join the group before you can 'add a comment'. If you aren't a member of Flickr you would need to join first, then confirm your email address - then workout how to use it.

Seems in some cases it might be a bit too much effort.

Can you not set up a simple 'poll' on a forum?
    Maybe even this one?

I'm sure a simpler method would get a lot more votes.

23. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too agree with steven_e007. Except I could not be bothered signing up to flickr. A poll here would be ideal.

24. simin.tan

simin.tan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am a big fan of how the negatives look and wouldn't mind a greater variety of Foma to choose from! :D

Not to distract from the OP's cause, but if Foma were to look at 220 format I'd also be very, very grateful! I asked briefly on Ilford's Facebook page and their response was that they no longer have the finishing equipment for 220, which is a huge pity given how many 220 film backs are still around in good condition.

(And yes, I also just acquired a Kiev 6C as my first foray in MF so I am an interested party. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  25. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think there is just so many B&W dollars around and the market place is already choosing what is viable and what is not. Voting vs buying, however, only buying counts. The buying is the best way of voting. Since cost are generally spread out over a long period of time, initial enthusiasm will not make a market for a manufacture.

26. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    ADOX is planning a new asa 25 film. Is that good enough or can it only be Foma?