Petri Racer

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by bohica, Aug 21, 2005.

1. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys, as anyone that's read my threads and posts know, I like older cameras, In 67 I bought my 1st "modern camera" with a built in meter, the Petri Racer, I eventualy sold it and bought a Miranda Sensorex and a Nikkormat FTN that I still have. I recently saw a Racer on ebay and bought it for $2.75 + $4.90 S+H. The camera works and with the addition on a wein cell, so does the meter. The only problem is the shutter button is missing, still usable but a bit cumbersom to push the remaining plate in. I'm sure no parts are available for it so anybody have an idea of fabricating one? Thought of sanding and polishing a small piece of walnut and epoxying it to the plate.

2. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might want to be sure your fabricated release button accomodates a cable release, if there isn't a separate socket. Not too hard to do even with the walnut idea; just epoxy in a suitable brass nut and sand it and the wood together to get a smooth, "grown in" appearance.

3. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Racer has a cable connection on top and the shutter release was a little smooth chrome affair on the front so that's not a problem

4. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aaah. Then a little button of nicely polished and lacquered/varnished wood (walnut, curly maple, etc.) would be very appropriate and feel really nice. :smile:

5. Jon Goodman

Jon Goodman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A Racer with a battery? Both of the ones I owned just had selenium cells around the lenses. Neat little cameras, and great shutters. I'd try the wooden shutter release. Might be an improvement.
    Jon

6. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I first read this thread, I was imagining making a shtter release out of a nut. It seemed like it would be a bit greasy and might start smelling eventually. Glad to hear you were referring to wood! :smile:

7. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul lol, that would be interesting, get hungry, eat your shutter release

8. Rafael Macia

Rafael Macia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Petri

Hi Bohica,
    My first camera was a Beauty. A 35mm rangefinder made by Petri. The Petri company was on lower Broadway about 19th Street, and next store was a magnificent old loft type building with a great Victorian tower facade. Years later I found out it was the original "Lord&Taylor Building". I remember photographing the building against the sky. Petri is special for me.

9. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have another question for you petri guys, there's 1 flash sync terminal with a litle lightening bolt beside it, when i had my original petri, the flash bulb was king, will this work with electronic flash? and at what shutter speed, it has a leaf type shutter but 30 marked in red on the shutter speed dial.

10. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lightning bolt signifies "electronic" flash, aka X synch. It should synch at all speeds. The 30 in red is the highest shutter that will synch with a bulb on the X contact; faster speeds will have the shutter cutting off the light peak, while 1/30 will catch enough to give a good exposure.

11. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Donald

12. bobbotron

bobbotron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just picked one of these up to experiment doing IR portraits. I found it super difficult to get the film reel to grab the film, but I think I got it working. I tried to use the flash x-sync cable to trigger a cowboy studio radio trigger - it would work, sometimes, at 1/60 a second. I'll have to investigate some more with film not in the camera, perhaps cleaning the flash cable socket will help. I noticed there's a lever that goes between X and MX - I think for electronic flashes you always want it set to X?

13. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, you want the lever set to X for electronic flashes.

14. Allicio

Allicio Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Can I recommend artisan obscura soft release for a wooden button
    They have lots of different woods in both a stick on button and threaded style to go in a cable release.
    I've got a couple and one of there hotshoe covers. Beautiful!!!
    http://www.artisanobscura.com/