Petzval lens in 35 mm

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by abhishek@1985, Apr 13, 2014.

1. abhishek@1985

abhishek@1985 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Friends,

Apart from the lomography Petzval lens, is there any Petzval lens that can be used for portrature in 35mm or 645 medium format cameras.
    I have a Nikon FM2 and has been contemplating the idea of using a Petzval lens for portrature work .
    Please let me know if I can get one to use with my Nikon FM2.

Regards,
    Abhishek

2. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By work, you mean with a sharp center and swirls at the edge?
    Something from a small (16mm) projector may work.

Most Petzvals meant for pictoral use were intended for larger formats with the sharp area covering the whole image area, or at least, most of it.

I have a projection Petzval that's relatively short, but covers 4x5 with lots of swirl, but on a 6x6 the sharp area is almost the entire image area, so the swirly's aren't visible.

That problem would be even more acute on a 35.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not come across any small gauge cine or slide projection Petzval lens so far. They seem not common at least. Otherwise I guess we might have seen a lot of 35mm Petzval photography.

4. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure if it's a true Petval, but if you want swirlies then check out an 85/1.5 Helios lens for about $3-500, or its apertureless cousin the Cyclop for $1-200.
    (Here and here are a random few images I found with a quick google, I've made better images than the first link though)

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a Gauss type. And the swirly effect seems different from that of a Petzval lens.