Photo Challenge - New vs. Old Diana

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by nhemann, Mar 1, 2011.

1. nhemann

nhemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello All -

Its often said that the vintage Dianas are a much more interesting picture that the new ones - for any particular reason that you may care to offer (though I would agree that the price of a current version automatically makes them slightly less cool)

If any of you have both a new and old version - I only have a new one - I would love to see a side by side comparison of the two - same composition, same film, same processing and then we can let the critique begin. Hell I'd even be willing to front some film costs in the name of photographic discovery.

Any takers?

Neil

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The problem is the old ones varied CONSIDERABLY from sample to sample. Some vignetted a lot, some none, some were completely blurry in the corners, others reasonably sharp across the frame. Even the viewfinder accuracy varied. A lot. Some leak light, some do not.

I have two old ones and one new one. i have not used the new one at all yet, so cannot compare, but like I said, any comparison will be useless because the old ones varied so much.

Here's some with one of my old ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should try my new one.

3. nhemann

nhemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Chris,
    That would be an interesting study all by itself - two (or more even) old ones and new one or two just to see the variation......

4. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    well - I don't know about "more interesting" (a matter of taste of course), but certainly different.

I get annoyed when I hear the claim that it is the same camera - same lens and so on.
    It is clearly not.

I have both. Used the new one once - the old one for years.

I'll upload two images. Not the same film/processing and so on, but maybe to clarify what I am thinking...

The first is done with the new Diana+ (gold version, if you please...)

The figure in the lower right corner would never in a million years be seen so clearly on an old Diana... the new one makes much clearer images - the old one seems to have a very small person sitting in each corner; pulling in the negative/motive...

the second one is made with the old Di.

Not better (as I actually like the little figure in the first image), but different (?).

It only shows, that one need to know what one's camera can do - and what it does to a motive...

But they are different for sure.

It all depends on the background I think. I have "old" Diana images, where the distortion isn't that obvious, bu tI havn't managed to get the new Diana to do it...

Dark corners? Proberly on both...

EDIT: about the variations: true! I actually have a "version" which makes sharper images in the corners than in the middle.... Hard to do something worth wile with....;-)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  5. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    this thread "died" quickly....

6. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yeah -- the side-by-side testing idea did not pan out. But either here or in the imaging sharing thread, an alternate would just be to post Diana images (no other plastic camera type) and just label them as either from the original Diana or the new Diana. After awhile, we would get a much better picture of the differences.

Alex and Calder, North Jetty -- scanned platinum print
    Film: Expired Tech Pan in original Diana camera (double exposure)

Peace: scanned silver print
    Film: Some type of expired film in original Diana camera (on World Toy Camera Day)

Attached Files:

7. nhemann

nhemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys - Yeah, I was a little surprised at the lack of interest in the topic...I thought it was a pretty cool idea myself :smile:

I'm still game to do some real "studies" if anybody is interested...

8. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    go for it..
    I've never shot either but am always interested in interesting imagery.

9. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But isn't that part of the, ahem, charm of the original? You never really know what you're going to get. It seems to me that by introducing some minimal level of quality control to the manufacturing, you remove some of that quirkiness. I suppose that fits in with selling them at places like Urban Outfitters, where you go if you want a little bit of quirkiness, but not too much. The quirkiness is reducing to a predictable effect.

10. nhemann

nhemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem is that I don't personally own an old Diana, only a new one. Now if somebody wanted to lend me a vintage lady or two - I'm a very trustworthy fellow, btw - I would be more than happy to perform this test for the benefit of us all.

11. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    didn't you see my examples? new and old Diana?
    I could try your experiment (I have to wait a little as the new Diana is on a trip to Vietnam... on loan).

The results will of course be dependant of which old Diana one is using. I think they differ more from example to example than the new ones...

I have an old friend, who lives in the states - she just sent me an image showing her 128(!!) Diana cameras...... They all differ I think..

12. nhemann

nhemann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did indeed see your pics, sorry for not mentioning it sooner. I especially liked the one with the little guy in the corner - reminded me of gnomes in the forest. I understand perfectly that there is variation from cam to cam. Its that - in relation to the new cam that I am most intersted in seeing on a equal plane. It would be neat to establish a "standard" photo that Diana owners could take and then post to be able to see all the variation possible......

13. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    but here's the problem: it all depends on what you want to photograph...

Attached two more Diana images (Old Diana).

Same camera as the first "old Diana" posted above... but very different..

Attached Files:

14. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here's one shot on Provia in my "Tru-View" Diana clone. My guess is the streak is from the red window. I'm trying to decide if I want to cover that.

Attached Files: