Photo Journal

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by severian, Dec 15, 2005.

1. severian

severian Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Does anyone out there keep a photo journal? Is it technical or philosophical or both? Do you ever refer back to it? How has it helped you? Would be great if someone could post a page or two.
    Jack B

2. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I keep a travel and a nature journal, but only the travel journal has photos. Mine is bound archival paper that I picked up at a paper specialty shop and I use PMA sheets to adhere the pictures to the pages. The images (typically 4x6 prints) are just shots of the places I have traveled, and no technical data goes in there, just my thoughts and descriptions and such get written in it. I do keep technical notes on my images, but on a separate sheet that gets stored in a three ring binder for future reference.

Interestingly enough, I don't spend a lot of time referring back to the technical stuff. I tend to notice what I think I should have done differently during processing and printing, and then that info just sort of sticks in my mind. I have referred back the notes before, but mostly just to provide technical data when posting images in the gallery. The nature journal is all sketches, no images.

- Randy

3. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I journal every day (writing only no photos) mostly personal but includes much about photography. I also recently began to keep a separate journal specific to photography including ideas, techniques, thoughts, notes form classes I have attended. Generally anything specific to photography.