photo labs in/near chicago?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by thisismyname09, May 1, 2009.

1. thisismyname09

thisismyname09 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Currently, my darkroom is at school. When school ends about a month from now, I can't do anything but shoot film and let it sit. Are there any (preferably inexpensive) labs south of chicago, around tinley and orland park, that will develop 120 film?

2. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Use this site to help find a lab. All you need to do is supply your zip code then a list of labs will come up. You'll have to do some calling about film processes they provide.
    http://www.ipiphoto.com/

3. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just wanted to update this as there has been some considerable changes in the local labs.

1. Helix has stopped processing film.
    2. Phoenix Imaging was sold to a digital printing company and they have moved to Lake Street near downtown. In the basement of that building, Gamma Imaging is located. Phoenix and Gamma both do good work (C41&E6). I think Gamma actually outsources some stuff to Phoenix. Also, both of them outsource B&W processing to some *mystery* entity in Evanston.
    3. Central Camera used to use Helix for a lot of their stuff. They now send it to Dwayne's in Kansas.
    4. CSW still does E6 and C41, but not B&W.

As far as I know those are the only three "pro" film labs left in the area. If anyone has more info, please share.

One more thing, Printlab does B&W processing, but focuses on high end printing projects, both darkroom and digital.

4. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looks like Helix is going out of business entirely, so I guess it's a good thing they stopped processing film a little earlier :-(

I used to drop off my E6 at Helix's Highland Park location (and they'd run it downtown and back) because I work near there, but when that closed a couple of years ago I switched to CSW and just mail it. Glad to hear they're hanging in there.

Duncan

5. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, Phoenix Imaging has been sold again and is now part of A&B Photo and Print, which specializes in headshots. Still the same equipment and employees (2) as before. They are now at 218 N. Jefferson, Lower Level, only a couple of blocks from their last stop.

7. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just to update this. Phoenix Imaging no longer processes film in-house. Was quoted $36/roll for c-41 and flatbed scans. PASS.

CSW is the only place in the 7 million population area of Chicagoland that does E-6 in house. That I am aware of.

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Supply & demand. Go figure, I would of thought with so many people in the area.....perhaps most mail out?

9. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess (?)

The two other shops I frequent outsource their E-6 to Dwayne's. Which is fine. If you want to wait 7-10 days.