Photo paper and airport scanners

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by imush, Nov 29, 2012.

1. imush

imush Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    As I mentioned in another thread, I am trying to buy some Slavich paper in Moscow, where my sister lives and can send some of it to me in NY with the next friend travelling.

However, I am concerned about putting it into checked luggage. The airport security scanners do fog film. Any experience with paper, or perhaps a recipe to protect it? Taking it in the carry on bag may be a bit too much to ask.

2. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't put any emulsion into checked luggage. Even if you put it into one of those film protector bags, if the X-ray machine can't see through it, airport security staff may open your luggage and take it out of the bag.

3. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is no paper available in NY that could be a substitute? B&H lists 892 Items under Photographic Paper.

4. imush

imush Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The short answer is no. That is, of course there is Ilford, but at about 3 times the price, and the texture is not the same.

5. spijker

spijker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Read this thread at photo.net. I've read Ilford's report on the test with paper somewhere but I can't find it anymore. I hand carry my paper in a plastic bag and have it go through the carry-on luggage scanner. Works fine.

You can try the mail route. I've mail ordered paper from the US to Canada and I'm pretty sure it went on a plane. The paper was fine on arrival. Ask your sister to mail you a small (cheap) pack of paper and test it when it arrives. If its fogged than there's no big loss.