Photo Techniques

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Iwagoshi, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This month (Nov/Dec '08) in the magazine Photo Techniques there is a special section titled Traditional Master Print Class, some of the techniques included are contrast reduction masks, dodging and burning masks and hand coloring B&W. At first glimpse I thought this was all related to Photoshop, the magazine does include PS HDR and panoramas, but I was wrong, and at 6-bucks I couldn't lose. I'm now looking into getting some back issues.

Terry

2. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Photo Techniques has a pretty good (relatively speaking, of course) balance between film and digital. David Vestal and Bruce Barnbaum are regular contributors on film subjects. I have not done a formal survey, but as Black and White Photography has moved more and more into the digital realm, I think that PT has a more favorable film to digital ratio than B&W.

3. NormanV

NormanV Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There were two books published 20-30 years ago under the title "Darkroom" featuring famous photographers' darkroom techniques. I particularly liked Ralph Gibson taking a bottle of whisky in with him!

4. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Most of the tools in PS other than quirky things like "Shrink Wrap" originated in the darkroom including all kinds of masks.

5. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Photo Techniques and its forerunner, Darkroom Photography are great sources of info. When I find some time I'll put my extra issues up for sale in the classifieds section.

6. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Jon,

Looking forward to seeing what back issues you have. BTW, what is/was your relationship with PT? Why so many extra copies?

Terry

7. gerryyaum

gerryyaum Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Norman yes I have both those books they are gems, definately recommended stuff. Was just reading the gibson section about how he used rodinal etc....great info

8. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Norman, Gerry

Is this one of the books the book you are talking about: Darkroom 2

9. NormanV

NormanV Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's the one that I had. Great book, I never followed anybody's method but just soaked up the ideas. It was stolen from me!

10. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Norman,

Thanks for the reply, Darkroom 2 doesn't seem to be a rare item, found a bunch on Amazon, but Darkroom 1 is another story.

Note to self: Do not post after multiple glasses of wine.

11. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format