Photo van

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by RobertP, Nov 4, 2007.

1. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I'm making progress on the photo van. This is a Ford F 150 cargo van. The model with no rear windows. This has film and wet plate capabilities. The vent is in the rear near the rear doors. I installed 4" blackout vents in the bulkhead for a passive air flow. Ether doesn't like electric fan motors. And the red plexi will only be closed for a matter of a minute or so. http://www.apug.org/forums/attachme...ment.php?attachmentid=8980&stc=1&d=1194220315

Attached Files:

2. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  3. Ray Heath

Ray Heath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    g'day Robert

could you possibly expand on this post?

why?

what for?

how?

??

4. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  5. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Ray it is in order to take wet plate on the road. Plus it can function as a rolling film darkroom also. In order to do wet plate the plate must be processed as soon as it is shot. Plus you need darkroom capabilities in order to sensitize the plate before you load it in the plate holder. I can actually process ULf film in there and contact print albumen or Pt/pd prints on site if needed. As Long as the great point light source in the sky cooperates.

6. Ray Heath

Ray Heath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    wow, that's great Robert

so apart from the use of a modern vehicle, will your equipment, materials, processes and techniques differ from the practices of the photographic pioneers

Ray

7. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Ray, It's not my intent to do reenactments they would never allow the van there. I think you even have to wear period clothes for that. Aside from that everything is exactly the same as what was used 150 years ago. I have a new replica tailboard camera that will shoot up to an 11x14 plate with inserts for 5x7 and 8x10. The lens is a Huge Jamin Darlot Cone Centralisatuer 1861. And a few other period lenses.

8. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format

Attached Files:

9. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format

Attached Files:

10. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Next I'll install a sink with 15 gallon tank & grey water tank with counters and silver bath holders.

11. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Robert,

If you have room, you might consider a large water tank. My wet plate camper has a 22 gallon tank and I sometimes find that barely enough for an outing...

12. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Kerik, I already have a 15 gal tank.. that's what the determining factor is. I kind of figured I could carry an extra 10-15 gal. for refilling if needed. This was a design/build on the fly, using the parts and materials on hand. It was Kendrick's trailer and your camper that inspired me. Thanks, Robert

13. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Oh and the roof vent idea I stole from Joe Smigiel. Thanks Joe, Robert

14. Bruce Schultz

Bruce Schultz Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Robert, How did you rig up your water tank and how are you installing a wastewater holding tank?
    For my mobile wet-plate work, I have a cargo trailer that I have converted with an air conditioner, a vent like yours with ruby lith for a safelight and insulation on the roof. I use an office chair because the ceiling is too low for me to stand in. For a sink, I bought a cheap, plastic laundry sink. All but a couple of sticks of wood were surplus lumber I had laying around and I scooped up a set of metal shelves left on the side of a road to store trays and other paraphernalia. I painted the floor and walls with a can of gray reject paint.
    I usually drain the water into a bucket and have to admit that if I'm on a parking lot I just let the spent developer and wash water run onto the pavement. For water, I either buy a 2-gallon plastic container with one of those spigots but I'm about to buy a 5-gallon container used for camping.

15. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Bruce, Here is the sink and fresh water tank I have. The sink is 13x15x5". The tank is a 15 gal. For grey water I plan on buying one of those off of ebay that have the two wheels and collapsable handle. The waste water tank I plan on having nearest the rear doors with a hinged door that will allow it to flip open and roll the tank in and out. http://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8989&stc=1&d=1194279412

Attached Files:

16. schrochem

schrochem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now that's cool robert!
    I'll be working from home for awhile till I feel comfortable with the whole process, but will definitely be taking wetplate in the field. For now I'll try not to focus too much on those particulars and just try to get clean plates :smile:
    Scott

17. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Scott, I saw your plates. You're doing great! Keep it up. You'll have it mastered in no time.