Photographer's Formulary Spot Meter Holster

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by 2F/2F, May 21, 2009.

1. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

After battering my Digital Spotmeter on many occasions, it is - remarkably - still ticking. It has fallen out of jacket pockets more times than I can count, and won't fit well in my pants pockets. However, I found this leather holster from Formulary. For those who have used it, how is it? Thanks in advance.

2. Formulary/Bud Wilson

Formulary/Bud Wilson Advertiser Advertiser

spot meter holster

Item has been discontinued, but thanxs for looking.

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the reply.

Since the Pentax meter is so often not stocked in camera stores now, I guess pretty much everyone who is ever going to buy one has already bought one, so the same applies to the holsters.

In case I find a used one, I am still interested in hearing opinions. I would not even bother if they are a pain in some way. I'll probably rig my own version instead, using cloth.

Apparently, they were made by Zone VI as well.

Thank you.

4. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you have the cash, there are many online leather workers who would make you a custom holster for it. Check cameraleather.com or just google "custom leather" or "custom holster".

5. GM Bennett

GM Bennett Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, 2F -

I use and like one of the leather holsters that PF used to sell. If I was looking for one now and didn't get any bites on the WTB section of the classifieds here, I'd either explore having one made for me, as suggested above, or consider one of these. The nylon pouch looks a little less like a pistol holster, probably a good thing in these times, and would offer better weather protection, I'd think.

Graham

6. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    After I got mine back from a visit to the repair shop for drying out and cleaning after it fell out of a vest pocket as I bent over a pond, I decided it would be safer on a lanyard around my neck. I have found it is more convenient as well.

9. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just tied a shoe lace in a loop through the eye on the bottom. I use it as a neck strap, and it has served me well. A holster would get in the way of the waist belt on my hiking pack.

10. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made a lanyard that loops through my belt and attached to the bottom of the meter. I used a clip from a small dog collar so I can remove the meter from my belt if I need to. The lanyard is long enough that if I drop the meter it will not it the ground.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
  11. Keith Pitman

Keith Pitman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is my approach. I installed a grommet in the bottom of my Zone VI holster, and attache the lanyard to the meter holster. As Mike said, the meter will not reach (level) ground. You've still got to watch for rocks, logs,etc., or just don't drop it.

12. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If still looking for a holster, I have an orphaned leather one for the Sekonic 778, I'd be willing to part with. I checked it with my Pentax Digital Spot - it fits fine. PM me if interested (I'm in the LA area).

13. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I found a metal belt clip and attach it to my Minolta spotmeter via a standard 1/4" tripod thread screw into the tripod hole in the handle.

14. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another option is to go in search of a case for cell phones which would fit your meter...belt clip on those, to attach the case.

15. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    hi Lads !
    I had the same problem.
    Having seen a Zone VI hoster, I decided to buy some black leather and duplicate it.
    You need a sheet of paper for a mockup, a pair of strong scissors to cut the leather, a leather needle and some leather thread. Add a couple of hours and you've something fantastic holding at your side... Beware where you wear it. It is so nice they may think you've hostile intents...

16. Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I second (or is it fourth...) the lanyard method for outdoor/on-the-trail work. It has saved my light meter numerous times. I use an old Zone VI viewing filter lanyard, but a shoelace, etc. would work just as well. The meter lives in a vest pocket when not in use, the lanyard is hooked to a d-ring high on the vest so I can take the whole thing off as a unit when finished shooting. The higher tether keeps the meter from hitting the ground even if I'm bending over.

For city work, however, the meter lives without lanyard in my backpack, and gets taken out only when needed for metering; I have to be more careful, but I've not yet figured out a way to keep the meter in the backpack, keep a lanyard around my neck, bike around the city and take the pack on and off...

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

17. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I made a loop of cord long enough to span the distance between my beltloop and my eye. I use a Carabiner to link the cord to my belt loop. It still won't hit the ground and I can put the meter in my jeans or coat pocket depending on the season.

John