Photographers Gloves

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Fintan, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its turning winter here already. I've never been happy using gloves, the ones I've used are too thick to use the camera.

Are there any special "photographers gloves" available?
    What do you guys use?

2. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a pair of mittengloves as the Mrs. calls them. Their gloves with the ends of the fingers cut off and a "hood" that pulls up and over them to form a mitten. Keeps your fingers warm till you need them, then you don't need to pull the whole thing off. You should easily find them an hardware/building stores.

3. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lowepro include in their catalog a pair of gloves they advertise as been designed especially for photographers but also good for bicycling.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've used bicycling gloves in the past, but I just picked up a nice pair of windproof fingerless gloves from Patagonia, which are more suitable for winter.

5. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    rogueish uses the same mittens that I have. They work well. Another choice if it's not too cold is liner gloves, which can be picked up at any good outdoor equipment shop. Liner gloves tend to be fitting gloves, which makes it a lot easier to manipulate shutter controls, and to operate your light meter.

I use both. That, and pockets :D I was up at the Athabasca Glacier (Jasper National Park in Alberta) on the weekend, and it was pretty darn cold - I think it was -7 to -10C, with a howling wind. Since I was only about a hundred feet from the car, I made due with my pockets. Thank god for heated seats in the car tho :D

6. g0tr00t

g0tr00t Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fintan you are always welcome here. I live in St Petersburg, Fl. Temp today - High 85. :D

7. mark

mark Member

Outdoor Research windstopper gloves. They are nice.

8. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    REI carries gloves that are bloth fingertipless gloves with a pull over sleeve to turn them into mittons. They have rubberized pads so the thumb can still adhere to things. They are great. Warm, and convertible so that you can use the fingertips without the interference of the gloves. I will try and remember to put in the link in a while.

9. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fintan, you could also try here as well (MEC in Canada),
    http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp
    Just look under men's clothing and then go to gloves and mitts, there are lots there.

11. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Do what I did - move to Hawaii. :D

12. Magic Rat

Magic Rat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a pair of wool fishing gloves. The fingertips are removed. They're just fine. If it's really cold my hands just take a brief dive into jacket pockets.
    The Rat

13. VoidoidRamone

VoidoidRamone Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Being a snowboarder, I use my spring gloves (aka pipe gloves). They are thin, warm , and have grippy palms and fingers (so you don't drop stuff). http://eternalsnow.com/gloves_sprA.html And if you look at the ones they have here, you can get some in hot pink!!! -Grant

14. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I also like those convertible mitten/gloves for cold weather. I've used a couple of varieties but I like the ones sold under the Campmor brand because, unlike some others, the thumb also flips back exposing that rather important opposable digit.

15. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    plenty of options there, thanks to all the posters

[when not driving] some tea made with a little irish whiskey practically removes the need for gloves for those waiting for dawn moments *lol* but good gloves would be great.

16. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  17. SteveB

SteveB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you can find them, the best gloves I've found are air force pilot's gloves. (the ones with a metal cuff to lock onto a pressure suit) Just cut off the cuffs and your good to go. They are thin enough and flexible enough to pick up a dime, so there isn't much on a camera you couldn't manipulate with them on.