Photographic Chemistry Texts

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Photoe, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Photoe

Photoe Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am looking for some decent texts on photographic chemistry. My primary interest is black and white photography. I have an extensive technical background with a fairly good general chemistry component. My goals are to extend my knowledge of the photographic chemical processes and to understand better what is going on when I mix my own chemistry. I checked with Amazon and see many texts listed. So I would appreciate some recommendations from people here. Thanks

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A good starter is:

L.A. Mason, Photographic Processing Chemistry. Focal Press, Mason was Head of Research at Ilford

Ian

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try Grant Haist's "Modern Photographic Processing". He is now publishing it himself and you can order it directly from him. The address is here on APUG. If you cannot locate it, contact me and I'll look it up.

PE

4. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I forgot to add the very thorough treatment in Mees and James, "The Theory of the Photographic Process". C. E. K. Mees was director of research at Kodak, and James was one of the most senior researchers along with Grant Haist.

PE

5. Photoe

Photoe Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks folks

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One far better tome than Mason or Haist, a bit older but much more interesting.

L.P. Clerc, Photographic Theory and Practice

It's only better because of it's breadth, everything about photography, and it does have things that Mason & Haist miss out :smile:

Like white print toners.

Ian

7. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What editions of Clerc and Mason do people recommend. I see Clerc up to second edition in 1944, and Mason with 1966 and 1975.

8. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kirk;

There are 3 editions of Mason. They are 1966, 1975 and 1979. The one I have quoted from regarding fixing and washing is the 3rd edition.

Another fine book is "Photographic Chemicals and Solutions" by Crabtree and Matthews but being from 1939 is rather dated. Another one is "Photographic Chemistry" by Eaton. I have quoted from it and posted a few pictures here showing emulsion making at Kodak.

PE

9. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have Mason's 1966 ed (wasn't aware of the 1979...) and Crabtree and Matthews. I find them both indispensable. C & M seems, to me, to more directly address some topics in chemical formulation.

I used Haist extensively in college, when I had easy access to the library copy. I haven't seen Mason's 1979 edition (this roughly corresponds to Haist's publication date), but in my opinion, Haist is incomparable. It is truly exhaustive in scope (and rather massive, with 2 volumes, one for b/w and one for color).

I also have Mees & James 3rd edition (1966). That book is just plain daunting... :surprised:

Ed

10. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, as one of Grant's proof readers or editors if you will, I think Haist is wonderful but only up until that date. And, there is so much he could not tell.

PE

11. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a copy of Eaton. A nice little book and a very good introduction.

12. CBG

CBG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've tried to search out the old listing for how to get in touch with Grant Haist and failed. I too, would be interested in obtaining "Modern Photographic Processing" from him. I'm very glad to hear he's making it available.

C

13. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you cannot find the address, PM me and I will look it up.

PE

14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got the 4th edition from 1970 of the "Clerc's Photography..."
    It's actually a 6 volume work and covers a vast majority of the photographic (technical) field.