Photographic etching

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Stephen Frizza, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i am curious does anyone here do photographic etching to zinc or copper plate?
    can anyone suggest a good online resource for information about making photographic metal etchings?

2. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Note sure that this is helpful or not, but I know Jerry's Artarama sells photosensitive materials used for silkscreening T-shirts. Not quite sure if it's a positive or negative process.

In my dimly recalled distant past I know we used something at least similar to make silkscreens for small productions of copper circuit boards.

4. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I did a number of "line drawings" derived from photographs by etching photosensitive circuit boards with ferrous acid. If that is something you are interested in, let me know and I can track down my notes and find the websites I used. I have upgraded my computer recently and I didn't copy the info to the new computer, but I know I have the information somewhere.

5. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use Solarplates from Melbourne Etching Supplies (MES). Plate info from http://www.solarplate.com. Also I have found a whole bunch of info at APUG's sibling site of Hybrid Photog and another site with a printmaking forum called Wet Canvas. Also MES sells several good books on the subject. Hope this helps. Good luck & cheers! sam

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
  6. DarkroomDan

DarkroomDan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may want to check out Bostick & Sullivan's Advanced Process Forum here. Dick has sections on copper gravure and gravure tissue. I have no experience with gravure myself. I do carbon printing which is the other main focus of the site.

Dan